Group Fitness Classes
We Are Dedicated To You
The Wilmette Park District is proud to offer a variety of fitness classes to benefit your body and mind. Our classes are designed to provide workouts based on the latest fitness trends and research. All of our staff are professional, nationally certified, experienced instructors. We suggest you cross-train within our program by regularly attending a mixture of classes taught by different instructors. The benefits received from a consistent routine (3-4 times per week) are as follows:
- Improved cardio-respiratory health
- Reduced body fat
- Increased muscular endurance
- Increased metabolic rate
- Increased bone density
- Reduced blood pressure
- Increased flexibility
- Reduced stress
- Improved self-esteem
- Improved mind/body connection
To view and download a copy of the March 2014 schedule for Group Fitness classes click here.
For more details, click here for class descriptions.
Group Exercise Staff
To help prevent injury and achieve a safe and effective workout:
- Arrive for class on time and remain until the end to ensure proper warm-up, cool-down and stretch. If you must leave early, please inform the instructor.
- Please inform the instructor of any special considerations (pregnancy, medical conditions, history of injuries, etc.). We recommend a physical exam and medical clearance before starting any exercise program. Inform the instructor immediately if you are feeling light-headed, dizzy, short of breath or pain of any kind.
- Modify the workout for your own particular needs. Learning to modify movements is essential in today's multi-level, multi-faceted fitness classes. Our instructors will demonstrate options for certain movements. If necessary, feel free to ask the instructor for an option if one is not offered.
- We strongly advise against the use of wrist weights, hand-held weights or ankle weights during the cardiovascular portion of class. Research shows the risk of injury far outweighs the minimal benefits. Only classes designed with slow and controlled movement are appropriate for use of weights.
- Our instructors are trained and certified to provide safe and effective routines. Please follow their routine. As previously noted, modifications are encouraged. However, if you feel the need to significantly alter the routine, we ask you remain in the back of the class.
- Proper footwear must be worn in every class. Street shoes or bare feet are not allowed for any class that involves impacting movement. Aerobics or cross-training shoes are appropriate for our classes. Ask your instructor for footwear suggestions and length of wear guidelines.
- Please refrain from chewing gum, eating candy or lengthy conversations during class.
- Please wear comfortable, breathable, non-restrictive clothing. It is important to drink water before, during and after class - by the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. We recommend you bring covered plastic water bottles into the classroom.
- Please note that increased body temperature due to exercise may intensify fragrances from scented lotions and perfumes. This may be offensive to others, so please be considerate.
- Negative energy must be left outside the classroom! Everyone is required to de-stress, let loose, enjoy, and have fun!
Attention Please: Our insurance coverage does not permit the presence of children under the age of 14 in group fitness classes. Thank you for your cooperation.