WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting
January 12, 2015
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Shelley Shelly, Amy Wolfe, Bryan Abbott
Commissioners: James Brault
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Ken Eppelheimer, Sean Flynn, Cindy Felicicchia, Bill Lambrecht, Darrell Smith, Brian Udany
I. Meeting Called to Order
Commissioner Shelly called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Abbott moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the November 10, 2014 committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A. Commissioner Shelly acknowledged an email from Sang-yul Lee regarding the Wi-Fi connection at Centennial. Superintendent Bowen reported that Wi-Fi capabilities it is an ongoing project District wide. The wiring should be done for all facilities by early spring. The only area that will not have Wi-Fi will be the pool deck area. Commissioner Shelly asked Sean Flynn to follow up with Mr. Lee with the updates.
B. Superintendent Bowen discussed the make-up policy for classes throughout the facilities. He stated that globally the District would not be able to handle people coming and going to different classes continually. There are exceptions made in some departments such as Tennis due to the price points so they will accommodate where they can. Ice has a policy where if you miss one class you can come and make it up. Superintendent Bowen acknowledged an email from Evita Vulgaris in which she signed her daughter up with the knowledge that she was not going to be able to make it to all the classes. She is addressing the committee because she would like to be able to make up more classes and not just one. She is asking for a policy change. Superintendent Bowen stated that he does not think it is that simple when it comes to make-up classes and placing kids for continual missed classes. He stated the District works with many different circumstances and accommodates individuals where they can. The Committee agreed to leave the policy as is.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Commissioner Shelly acknowledged Ryrie Pellaton, 1115 Lake Avenue for attending the meeting. He stated he is a candidate running in the next election.
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Tennis Manager Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- Spring session registrations start this Saturday at 8:00 a.m. There are 10 more kids in the lottery than there has ever been. The number of participants is around 560.
- The second half court time started on January 4th.
- Staff is currently working on the Tennis and Golf lottery brochure which will be mailed out in February.
- There were two holiday camps held with both sold out.
- The December pro shop sale did well.
B. Pool/Risk Manager Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- The interviewing process has started for the 2015 pool season.
- Joe Sanchez has been hired as the new Assistant Manager for Pool and Ice.
C. Ice Manager Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:
- Public skate was down slightly compared to last year.
- Skate with Santa was held on December 14th.
- Fall II session finished on December 21st.
- Holiday camp was down 82 kids this year due to the way the Holidays feel during the week.
- Open hockey had 159 kids enrolled compared to 134 enrolled last year.
- Wilmette Hockey and Centennial are going to host the Northern Illinois Hockey League (NIHL) playoffs in February.
- Ice show tryouts are coming up January 24th.
- A special guest skater for the 40th show, Ryan Bradley will be present. He is from the Stars on Ice show and 2010 US Men’s National Champion.
- The District is finalizing a deal to host the Chicago Blackhawks summer hockey camp, August 10th-14th from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. People can sign up directly through the Chicago Blackhawks.
D. Paddle Tennis Superintendent Bowen reported on the following topics:
- The District was expecting to have another women’s league in the winter but it did not work out; most likely in the fall.
- A junior class for ages 8-13 on Wednesdays from 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. was added due to a high demand for this age group.
- Junior Paddle & Pizza is scheduled on January 16th from 5-6:30 p.m. The next paddle mixer event is scheduled to be on January 23rd from 7-10:30 p.m.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 6:51 p.m.