Wilmette Park District
Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, January 19, 2015
6:30 p.m. – Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Amy Wolfe, Shelley Shelly, James Brault
Staff: Kathy Bingham, Bill Lambrecht
Commissioner Bryan Abbott
Staff: Steve Wilson, Ken Eppelheimer, Carol Heafey, Jeff Groves, Cindy Felicicchia
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order 6:31 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Committee approved minutes for the November 17, 2014; by general consent.
III. Communication and Correspondence
Commissioner Brault received a call from Joe Weix from the Wilmette Wings Organization stating that he thinks the Village Board has four votes to agree to allow a zoning variance at West Park for lighting. Superintendent Bingham stated the decision will now have to go to the zoning board of appeals first. Commissioner Brault recommended that staff continue with discussions to see if that is what the Village is thinking.
Commissioner Shelly thanked Superintendent Lambrecht and his staff for the ice rink and lights at Thornwood Park. She has received great feedback.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Commissioner Wolfe acknowledged visitor:
V. New Business
VI. Manager Reports
Carol Heafey (Program Manager) reported on the following topics:
- There were 386 participants for the winter break camps which are up from last year.
- 2015 classes are off to a good start with 2,192 participants which is up from last year.
- The District 39 after school programs have started with the addition of Harper school. There are 801 kids registered.
- A fencing class has started. There are two classes with a total of 10 registered.
- The theater department cast 46 children in our Wilmette Children’s Theater mini-production of Willy Wonka Kids, which opens January 30.
- Camp planning is well underway and our annual Camp Open House will be held on Tuesday, January 20th from 6-8 p.m.
- Camp registration starts on January 27th for residents.
Jeff Groves (Facility Manager) reported on the following topics:
- Ruthie Brew, Mallinckrodt Manager is doing well after hip surgery. She is scheduled to return to work on February 9th.
- Lose to Win fitness program has stated with 53 participants registered for the 8 week program. This is a great program used for recruiting new memberships to fitness. Fitness currently has 1,864 memberships.
- Gymnastics has 1,794 enrolled for the winter session. Gymnastics is preparing for the upcoming competition on January 30th. Commissioner Shelly asked about the redesign for gymnastics. Jeff stated that it will be going out to bid soon.
VII. Unfinished Business
A. Underground Storage Tank at West Park
Superintendent Lambrecht reported that all the excavation has been completed. They poured a mud slab and they are on schedule. They are waiting on permits to continue.
There being no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 6:47 p.m.