WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting
February 9, 2015
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Shelley Shelly, Amy Wolfe, Bryan Abbott
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Ken Eppelheimer, Darrell Smith, Brian Udany, Cindy Felicicchia,
I. Meeting Called to Order
Commissioner Shelly called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Abbott moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the January 12, 2015 committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Ryrie Pellaton, 1115 Lake Avenue, Wilmette
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Tennis Manager Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- The Tennis lottery brochure is going out in March. Accepting applications until April 13th. Court selection will be on April 25th.
- Spring lesson, January through March registration was on January 17th with 414 registered. This tops last year’s number by 51 more spots for participants. Over 500 people registered some did not get a spot.
- Pirate and Scallywags camps are sold out. There are other camps that still have space.
- Breakfast Club is now 4 days a week instead of 3.
Commissioner Wolfe asked if there were any options for Pirate Paddle Tennis. Darrell Smith commented on the courts getting to hot at paddle with the metal courts in the summer. Superintendent Bowen stated that the summer camps will be scheduling some field trips to paddle to get more junior involvement.
B. Pool/Risk Manager Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- The summer interviewing process is underway with 40 people scheduled and more to schedule. Commissioner Shelly asked if people could apply even if they are not certified. Brian Udany stated yes that the District will certify them.
- The staff last year consisted of 70% new lifeguards. The District was awarded for the third year in a row a 5 star Certification for safety from StarGuard. This award is international in nature and places the District in the top 5 percent for safety of swimming facilities.
- Visitor Ryrie Pellaton asked how many lifeguards are employed. Brian stated that the average is about 100 people per summer.
- Summer contract rentals have been sent out to New Trier Swim Club and Evanston Masters Swim Club.
C. Ice Manager Superintendent Bowen reported on the following topics:
- 108 participants registered this past session. There were 111 last year at this time.
- Plans are underway for the 40th Annual ice show scheduled for the week of April 20th.
D. Paddle Tennis - Superintendent Bowen reported on the following topics:
- 140 participants registered for classes this last session. Numbers are growing. Commissioner Shelly asked if it was primarily children registered and Superintendent Bowen stated it is mostly adults.
- There are 192 paddle members.
- Paddle is booked for every weekend in February and March with rentals; except March 7th which is Nationals.
- Heaters are working well.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 6:49 p.m.