WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, March 9, 2015
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Shelley Shelly, Amy Wolfe, Bryan Abbott, Superintendent Bowen, Commissioner Benz, Director Wilson, Superintendent Ken Eppelheimer, Darrell Smith, Brian Udany, Cindy Felicicchia
I. Meeting Called to Order
Commissioner Shelly called the meeting to order at 6:31 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Abbott moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the February 9, 2015 committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A. Email from Leonore Lee re: Wolves Cup
Commissioner Shelly acknowledged the attached email from Leonore Lee thanking Sean and Staff for their support and hospitality in hosting the NIHL Wolves Cup Tournament. She commended Sean and Staff for the well run event. Commissioner Wolfe stated it was a great event and she hopes it will come back to Centennial again.
B. Email from Stephen and Allison Chaplick re: Krave/Concession
Commissioner Shelly acknowledged an email from Stephen and Allison Chaplick regarding Krave concession. Superintendent Bowen stated he met with Krave last week after reviewing the video footage from the event that was described in the email. He stated that some concerns were accurate and some were not. Staff has directed Krave to move the items they do not want customers to touch and make them out of reach. He also discussed customer service etiquette. Superintendent Bowen discussed with Krave if they are happy working with the District they proposed they were. He discussed Krave’s contract with the Committee which reflects a 60 day clause where the District can ask them to leave. Commissioner Shelly asked if we think the issues will be addressed. Superintendent Bowen stated that we hope these will be addressed and the District will be watching Krave very closely. Commissioner Wolfe stated that she has also heard about complaints with customer service issues with Krave. Director Wilson stated that after discussing this with the Committee the Staff will go back and let them know they are being observed very carefully. Commissioner Wolfe will address the social media that had concerns with Krave and let them know their concerns are being addressed. Commissioner Shelly suggested giving Krave a time table to improve in order for the District to have enough time for recruiting another vendor.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Tennis Manager Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- Staff is working hard on getting the court lottery set up and lottery brochure sent out.
- An effort was made to increase memberships for court time which has paid off and results show 699 members compared to 625 last year. 114 are brand new members.
- A pro shop sale will be going on all through March.
- Staff is working on assembling summer camps.
B. Pool/Risk Manager Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- The interviewing process is underway and busy.
- New Trier would like to begin practice at 7:30 p.m. instead of 8:00 p.m. two days a week. This would impact the lap swimmers by ½ an hour. Commissioner Shelly asked what benefit it is for the District. Brian Udany stated that Staff feels this schedule change has been in place going into its third year and there is not enough consistency or feedback to make any changes right now. Committee agreed. Director Wilson stated that it would be additional revenue.
- Evanston Masters is looking to host a swim meet this season on August 9th from 6 a.m.-11 a.m. This would only impact the Sunday morning lap swim from 6:45 a.m.-8:45 a.m. Committee agreed to offer them to host this event.
- There will be two new diving boards both a 1 meter and 3 meters that will replace the existing diving boards at the pool.
- The Dive In Movie dates are scheduled for June 26th and July 18th.
- West Park is working on the heaters for the showers.
- The pool heaters will be looked at next year due to expense.
C. Ice Manager Superintendent Bowen reported on the following topics:
- Memberships are up this year with Winter Learn to Skate sessions with 818 participants in the program compared to 794 last year.
- The ice show registration ended February 9th. There are 215 skaters registered compared to 212 last year. Ticket sales start in April.
- Go Green Wilmette will be hosting another ice rink liners recycling program for home rink liners on April 12th pick up at Centennial.
D. Paddle Tennis - Superintendent Bowen reported on the following topics:
- Ania Kazakevich who is the Wilmette Park District paddle pro competed in Nationals this weekend with amazing results of making it to the quarter finals but lost in a really tough finish. A letter was sent out to the paddle membership participants on Ania.
- Paddle memberships are at 196 compared to 152 last year.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 6:56 p.m.