WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 18, 2015
6:30 p.m. – Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Amy Wolfe, James Crowley, Stephanie Foster
Staff: Bill Lambrecht, Kathy Bingham
Commissioner Abbott, Staff: Carol Heafey, Cindy Felicicchia
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order 6:30 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Committee approved minutes for the April 20, 2015; by general consent.
III. Communication and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. New Business
Superintendent Bingham stated that Staff is working on updating the policy for field usage fees. Staff is researching other park districts and their policies. This policy will also affect the new field at West Park.
VI. Manager Reports
Carol Heafey (Program Manager) reported on the following topics:
- Dance held an open house and 48 children participated. In conjunction old costumes were sold which people enjoyed.
- The dance department is planning the final stages of the annual recital, which will be held June 6th and 7th.
- The children’s theater show this fall will be Alice in Wonderland.
- Kindergarten Enrichment registration started on May 13th and the 5 day classes are all filled.
- Staff is looking at ways to revamp and streamline the Dance sections in the Leisure Guide. She thanked Shelagh for working with Staff on this.
- Sports camps are going well.
- Beach volleyball will be starting on June 7th.
- Staff is working to get camps up and running. There are currently 3,281 campers registered. This is up 200 from last year. This does not include Camp Fusion or Gymnastics.
- The District will continue to lease All Town buses for the summer. All Town allows the District to provide our own drivers.
Superintendent Bingham stated that the numbers for Camp Fusion are up over last year. Gymnastics numbers look good. Staff is preparing for the summer camps. Installation for gymnastics will begin in early June.
VII. Unfinished Business
Commissioner Wolfe asked about the park permit fee usage policy. Superintendent Bingham stated that Staff is working on this and recommendations will be coming.
A. Bid Recommendation Memo for West Park Artificial Turf
Superintendent Lambrecht updated the Committee on the process of gathering bids. The Committee discussed the display of samples of different options for field turf. The Staff recommends the ecofriendly virgin rubber to be installed by Mondo and using the ecofill as opposed to the shredded butyl rubber made from recycled tires; due to recent negative press related to possible health issues. The Committee agreed with Staff’s recommendation of the bid proposal from Mondo. Commissioner Crowley stated that as part of the recommendation to the full Board we need to find some way to make up the deficit by charging a usage fee over a 3 to 5 year period. The Committee discussed the lighting options again for extending the field usage times. The Committee agreed to make the recommendation to the full Board to use the Mondo with Ecofill and for Staff to come up with options for charging a surcharge to cover the $418,000. The field grooming equipment will be in the budget for next year.
Commissioner Wolfe asked about the park permit discussed last month for Howard Park usage on August 8th. Superintendent Bingham will reach out to Jen Truszkowski to make sure the stage set up is placed properly.
There being no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 7:08 p.m.