WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 8, 2015
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Ryrie Pellaton, Shelley Shelly, Amy Wolfe
Staff: Jeff Bowen
Staff: Brian Udany, Darrell Smith, Sean Flynn, Ken Eppelheimer, Bill Lambrecht, Kathy Bingham, Steve Wilson, Cindy Felicicchia
Commissioner James Crowley
I. Meeting Called to Order
Commissioner Pellaton called the meeting to order at 6:28 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the May 11, 2015 Facilities Operation Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A. Miscellaneous emails regarding pool closures
Commissioner Pellaton acknowledged emails regarding pool closures. Superintendent Bowen stated that the pools are operational now. Superintendent Bowen will follow up with responses to the emails.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Kathleen O’Laughlin, Evanston North Shore Masters Team
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Pool Manager Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- Lifeguard training courses are completed for the early part of the season. New lifeguard training was held on May 18th through May 22nd.
- An additional lifeguard training course will be held on July 19th for the end of the season staff.
- The activity pool and wading pool were closed due to repairs on Memorial Day weekend. The weather was cooler. There were 459 people on Saturday, 51 on Sunday, and 571 on Memorial Day.
- May 30th and May 31st the pools were closed due to the weather.
- June 6th there were 183 people and on June 7th there were 339 people in attendance.
- As of Saturday, May 30th all pools and slides were operational.
- Brian thanked West Park Staff for their ongoing help and commitment.
- There have been more birthday party requests prior to opening this year than in the past. 5 parties are confirmed with deposits, 3 pending contracts, and 2 booking in August.
- Total memberships as of June 7th are at 8,726 compared to 10,423 this time last year.
B. Tennis Manager Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- Outdoor court reservations began Memorial weekend and will continue to Labor Day.
- The women’s outdoor travel teams began May 25th and will continue through end of July.
- Women’s drills started today. The rest of the classes and camps start next week.
- The indoor summer court rates are $43 for 1½ hours and $24 for junior court time. There are no guest fees in the summer.
- Tennis will be hosting 3 US travel teams.
- A coupon book was presented to encourage members to sign up early for their memberships.
C. Ice Manager Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:
- There were 1,849 tickets sold for the ice show. The guest skater Ryan Bradley was a great addition.
- The public skate numbers were at 761 compared to 585 last year at this time.
- Open Hockey numbers were 76 last year compared to 236 this year.
- Camps start June 15th.
- The new program Team Wilmette which started May 30th has 44 skaters who will be competing in the ISI World Championship the end of July.
D. Paddle Tennis Superintendent Bowen reported on the following topics:
- Nothing to report at this time.
VI. Unfinished Business
Commissioner Wolfe asked about the outdoor tennis wall options. Superintendent Bowen stated Staff is still researching the possibility and will report back to the Committee.
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 6:47 p.m.