WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, June 13, 2015
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: James Crowley, Shelley Shelly, Stephanie Foster
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Mike Matchen, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise, Kathy Bingham, Ken Eppelheimer
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Foster seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the May 9, 2015 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Frank Charhut member of CDGA commented on the District having camps for special needs children through CDGA. The Committee and Staff agreed the District is willing to help this program out which has been offered to them in the past.
Pat Bosco reiterated his comments from last month to grandfather him in as a longtime resident. Commissioner Crowley asked Superintendent Bowen what Staff is doing regarding this. He stated that this will be discussed during the budget process this year and some options will be brought back to the Committee to discuss. Commissioner Crowley stated that Staff will keep Mr. Bosco informed of the results.
V. Manager Reports
Nick Marfise (Assistant Supt. of Golf Course) reported on the following:
- He discussed and presented how the annual landscaping maintenance continues on the golf course. Several samples of soil have been taken around the golf course to see what is going on with the grass. The report showed that the infiltration and drainage is very good. This will give us a benchmark to work from to maintain the proper health of the grass.
- The health of the tees and all of the blue grass tees that were renovated look good.
- Fairways are growing in nicely.
- Some options were discussed for grass and the different types of grass that are growing together. Mike Matchen stated that the testing of the grass will continue before options can be discussed further.
- Staff has been working on the yardage markers to make them more visible by mowing around them. The yardage tags have been put on the fairway sprinkler heads.
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf Business Manager) reported on the following:
- The golf course has been active and busy when the weather is nice. The weather has been a challenge as far as rounds.
- Rounds are down due to the late start and the weather.
- Pro Shop sales have been strong over the last month.
- Multiple programs start on Monday.
- A new program started, Junior Golf Team which is full to capacity. Staff is looking to expand this program for next year.
Commissioner Crowley asked how many rounds there have been year to date from this time last year. Adam Kwiatkoski stated that there are 1,300 less rounds than in 2013. He used 2013 because of renovations at the golf course in 2014. Rounds are mostly down due to the weather. The Staff will continue to track rounds. Commissioner Crowley asked where we are revenue wise year to date with rounds of play and pro shop. Adam Kwiatkoski stated that the daily golf revenue through May 31, 2015 states the actual is $167,000 and budget amount is $185,000. Director Wilson stated that the $185,000 is an average of prior year budgets. Commissioner Crowley commented that some marketing strategies need to be put in place moving forward to draw more golfers to our course. Director Wilson commented that by tracking the weather and the course to see if we are full on good weather days is a good way to get a feel of where the course stands. Adam Kwiatkowski commented that once the course is where we want it to be then a marketing plan makes sense. Commissioner Crowley recommends having a marketing plan in place to move on in the future.
Mike Matchen (Golf General Manager/Golf Supt.) reported on the following:
- The representative who grows and sells the seed for the grass liked the results of our course that he sent the Golf Course Superintendent Associations (GCSA) camera crew to film it and include it in their advertising.
- Dan Dinelli from NorthShore Country Club was doing a video of our grass roots to correspond with a project he is working on.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:20 a.m.