WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Parks & Recreation Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, June 15, 2015
6:30 p.m. – Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Amy Wolfe, James Crowley, Stephanie Foster
Staff: Bill Lambrecht, Kathy Bingham
Staff: Steve Wilson, Ken Eppelheimer, Jeff Bowen
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order 6:31 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Crowley moved and Commissioner Foster seconded a motion to approve the minutes of May 18, 2015 Parks & Recreation Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communication and Correspondence
A. Email from Wendy Raymond regarding a running track in Wilmette
Commissioner Wolfe acknowledged an email from Wendy Raymond. Director Wilson stated that Dr. Ray Lechner from District 39 directed Ms. Raymond to him. Director Wilson stated that the Village of Wilmette is studying storm water management options which impact the location of a track. Commissioner Wolfe commented that there is a need for a track. Director Wilson commented that there may be an opportunity with the storm water system being discussed and finding some funding for a running track. Director Wilson stated that the school district does not feel that this is in their budget. Commissioner Wolfe commented to Staff that discussions can continue once the storm water management options are sorted out. Director Wilson agreed.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. New Business
VI. Manager Reports
Superintendent Kathy Bingham reported on the following topics:
- The spring dance recital was held two weekends ago with 960 in attendance.
- Camps have started today. There are 3,800 enrolled in camps currently. This is up over 250 from last year.
- There are 713 participants enrolled in Classes, compared to 625 last year; not including gymnastics.
- The Wilmette Park District team came in first place with PDRMA’s Minutes in Motion program. Superintendent Bowen reported that there were 80 teams with 409 individuals participating. Superintendent Bingham outlined how the program worked.
- Gymnastics renovations have been complete with great results. Superintendent Bingham commented that West Park Staff did a great job with the renovations.
- Camp Fusion started at Mallinckrodt today with 70 participants.
- Concerts in the Park at Mallinckrodt are starting on June 28th.
- The Children’s Summer Concert Series is also starting at Mallinckrodt on June 17th.
VII. Unfinished Business
A. Field Permit Rate Verbal Update
Superintendent Bingham updated the Committee on the process of what other park districts do as far as permitting their field spaces. Staff is in the process of gathering all of the information to be able to compare. At the next meeting Staff will have options to discuss with the Committee to see what makes sense for the District.
There being no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.