WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, July 13, 2015
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Committee: Commissioner Amy Wolfe, Commissioner Shelley Shelly; Staff: Jeff Bowen
Staff: Brian Udany, Darrell Smith, Sean Flynn, Ken Eppelheimer, Bill Lambrecht, Kathy Bingham, Steve Wilson
Commissioner Bryan Abbott
Commissioner Ryrie Pellaton
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the June 8, 2015 Facilities Operation Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Tennis Manager Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- Summer classes are in their 4th week.
- Outdoor tennis maintenance staff is working to keep the courts clean and playable.
- Residents are making reservations.
- Reservations are being made for 14 WWTA/WMTA summer teams.
- The new air conditioning is working great.
- Tennis will be hosting 3 USTA summer teams.
Commissioner Shelly acknowledged the great work Al, Mike and Randall are doing with the Junior Excellence Program.
B. Ice Manager Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:
- Hockey contracts have gone out and are in the process of being returned.
- The summer skating program began June 15th with ice offered to the figure skaters from 7 a.m. to 5:20 p.m. each day. There have been more participants this year than last year.
- There have been 493 skaters that attended public skate compared to 295 in June 2014. This year the staff added public skate times during the week which have increased attendance.
- Open Hockey is ongoing throughout the summer with 223 visits in June compared to 134 last year.
- This Turcotte Stickhandling School is going on this week, July 13th through July 17th.
- The Chicago Blackhawks Youth Hockey Camp will be held August 10th through August 14th.
- The Mid-Summer Classic competition was held on July 11th with 58 entries compared to 68 last year.
- The Chicago Blackhawks will be doing their equipment sale with the District again this year the time and date is to be determined.
C. Pool Manager Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- The staff is getting ready for the third lifeguard training course on July 19th.
- Due to the rainiest June and cold temperatures daily admissions are down 6,500 people as well as season pass sales. Pool is down 32% from budget last year. Staff has done a good job with cutting down on salaries and reducing hours to control the expenses.
- The Dive in Movie night was cancelled for the 2nd time on July 11th. The rain date will be July 18th.
- The second New Trier Swim meet was held on July 8th and went well despite the cold temperatures.
D. Paddle Tennis, Superintendent Bowen reported on the following topics:
- Staff is looking at options for extending classes in the spring time.
- Ania Kazakevich is meeting with the captains of the men’s leagues tonight.
VI. Unfinished Business
Superintendent Bowen stated that he met with Krave Concessions to terminate their contract in 60 days with the District. He asked Krave if they wanted to leave sooner and the District would not hold them to any fees. Krave stated at this time they will stay through the end of the season. Superintendent Bowen stated that they are being monitored very closely. He stated that RFP process will be starting up soon.
Commissioner Wolfe asked if anything else was being done to keep costs down due to the bad weather. Superintendent Bowen stated that labor costs at the pool are the biggest expense. He stated that pool cannot really control the utility expenses. Staff is working closely with controlling the labor costs.
Commissioner Wolfe asked if this weather is the new normal and what does it mean. Superintendent Bowen stated that the District needs to plan what we know and act on what we have.
A. Outdoor Tennis Wall Options
Superintendent Bowen reported that the District has found a location at Maple Park for the outdoor Tennis Wall. Darrell Smith commented on back board options ranging from $1,600 to $5,000. Staff will be discussing some options during the budget process.
VII. New Business
VIII. Adjournment to Closed Session
The Regular Committee meeting adjourned to Closed Session at 6:48 p.m.
IX. Reconvene Regular Meeting
The Closed Session meeting adjourned at 7:22 p.m. and the Committee returned to the Regular meeting.
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 7:23 p.m.