WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, September 12, 2015
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Shelley Shelly, Stephanie Foster
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Director Wilson, Mike Matchen, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise
Attendance Record will be a permanent part of the record.
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Foster seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the July 11, 2015 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
Commissioner Shelly acknowledged an email from Florence Malizola regarding senior nonresident rates. Commissioner Shelly stated that the District and Board will be going through all of the rates during the budget process which will be discussed at the November meeting. She thanked Ms. Malizola for her input.
Commissioner Shelly acknowledged a letter from Anne Heynen regarding suggestions on marketing ideas and ways to increase business. Commissioner Shelly thanked Ms. Heynen for her letter and stated that the Committee will be discussing her suggestions further.
Commissioner Shelly acknowledged two later emails. First, regarding 9 hole play which will be discussed further during the budget process; and second, an email from Karen Weinstock regarding supporting the nonresident senior rates which will be addressed during the November meeting.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Attendance Record will become a permanent part of the record.
Commissioner Shelly recognized the visitors and invited them to speak to the Committee.
Muggsy Jacoby, 1925 Lake, Wilmette, stated she is the President of the Women’s Golf Association. She commented that her nonresident numbers are half of the resident numbers. She stated she has been approached by many members stating they will probably not be back next year due to the price of golf. Commissioner Shelly thanked Ms. Jacoby for speaking and letting the Committee know her concerns which will be addressed at the November meeting.
Julie Wolf, 1202 Lake, Wilmette, stated she was the President of the SWG and she has heard similar comments about the fees for golf and compared them with the surrounding park district golf courses of nonresident fees. Commissioner Shelly stated again that fees will be looked at during the budget process. Adam Kwiatkoski stated that junior play and the discrepancy with adult play are all factors will be looked at during the budget process.
V. Manager Reports
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf Business Manager) reported on the following:
- There were 450 more rounds in August this year compared to last year. There was also an increase in use of the programs. There was $40,000 more revenue this August compared to last August. Outings were also increased this year.
- The Ouilmette Foundation Golf Outing was held August 31st which went well.
- Multiple golf outings are scheduled throughout October.
- A pilot program was set up this year to get more women golfers out. An email was sent out and 8 women signed up who have never played golf before. This was set up as 2 foursomes and a pro in each foursome. This pilot program went well.
- Marketing ideas are being discussed on an ongoing basis to get more people involved.
- Golf will possibly be hosting a women’s competitive golf tournament next year for the Northern Illinois Women’s Golf Association. Mickey Poulos, President of the Northern Illinois Women’s Golf Association addressed the Committee. She stated that memberships have been going down in the tournament. This tournament has been going for 52 years. She stated that discussions were ongoing about moving it to a new venue.
Nick Marfise (Assistant Supt. of Golf Course) reported on the following:
- Pictures of the golf course were presented and discussed with weather changes.
- The conditions of the course are going well with continual maintenance.
- Control and monitoring traffic of the course is ongoing and going well.
- Capital equipment was purchased earlier this summer. Nick discussed how the 3 new pieces of equipment have helped the course.
- Nick discussed the different grass mixtures and how different grass works. Staff educated everyone on the process of grass changes and what that is going to entail. The Committee discussed the potential of grass changes for the entire course.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
Frank Charhut, Wilmette resident, commented that he is the Director of the Chicago Golf District Association. He stated he represents the Wilmette Golf Course for which he rates golf courses. He stated he has rated over 20 golf courses in the Chicagoland area this year. He wanted to compliment everyone and the Wilmette Golf Course which is coming along very good. He stated that he does not see the desire with Wilmette Golf Course to control traffic in comparison to other golf courses. Commissioner Shelly commented on a phone call received regarding the course and how nice it was all the way around.
Superintendent Mike Matchen stated Nick Marfise is the guy running the place day in and day. He is the one who has brought this golf course to where it is today bringing it in all year. He stated that the community should be very happy and comfortable with the team going forward with Nick Marfise as the Golf Course Superintendent and Adam Kwiatkoski as the General Manager.
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:25 a.m.