WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Lakefront Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 5, 2015
6:30 p.m. – Mallinckrodt Community Center
Commissioners/Committee: Chair, Shelley Shelly, Bryan Abbott, Stephanie Foster
Staff: Kathy Bingham, Bill Lambrecht
Steve Wilson, Ken Eppelheimer, Holly Specht, Cindy Felicicchia, Commissioner Pellaton
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order 6:31 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Abbott moved and Commissioner Foster seconded a motion to approve the minutes from August 25, 2015; all voted yes, the motion carried.
III. Communication and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. Manager’s Report
Holly Specht reported on the following:
- Swimming beach closed September 7th.
- Staff is getting ready for the winter.
- Staff is reviewing inventory and supplies.
- There were no EMS calls this summer.
- Sailing beach is open through October 11th. September 28th was the last day the sailing beach was staffed.
- Beach rack is on the way to Maryland for some needed repairs.
- Lakeview Center had 9 rentals this September. Due to the fact that we did not accept reservations for the fall and winter, our numbers are down.
- There were 2 outdoor weddings held at Lakeview.
- Many events were scheduled and went well.
- The preliminary budget numbers show that Lakeview revenue is ahead or exceeds the budget numbers.
- The Wilmette Police department held their training in the park.
- Employee Katy Bradford is working out great at Lakeview.
Superintendent Bingham commented that at the next Lakefront Committee meeting in November the budget will be discussed for 2016.
Superintendent Bingham commented that it is a struggle to get patrons to remove their vessels after the season. She stated that the Staff is considering charging a weekly fee after the deadline of October 11th. Superintendent Bingham stated that boaters will be given ample time to remove their vessel with reminder emails, letters and phone calls. The Committee agreed this was a good idea. They suggested giving a grace period of 2 weeks for this year and continue with the 1 week moving forward. The Committee agreed that a $25.00 charge was a reasonable charge per week. Superintendent Bingham commented that there is still room available through the District for storing their vessels.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
A. Community Wide Survey Contract Review
The Committee discussed the contract from aQity to help in the creation, dissemination, and analysis of a community survey regarding the lakefront. The Committee wanted more clarification outlined in item 5(b) of the contract regarding the 10% allowance. Superintendent Bingham will obtained clarification. The Committee recommended this Contract goes to the full Board for approval.
B. Park Permit Request – Wilmette District 39, Gillson Park on June 8, 2016
Superintendent Bingham commented that this park permit is an annual event for District 39 and she does not see it as a problem.
Commissioner Abbott moved and Commissioner Foster seconded a motion to approve the park permit for Wilmette District 39 on June 8, 2016.
By voice vote, voting Yes: All; voting No: None. Motion carried.
The Committee discussed the history of the water levels at Langdon Beach. Superintendent Lambrecht commented that the water levels have been on the rise the last couple of years. There have been active northeast storms on a more regular basis. The lake is not at an all-time high like in the 80s and there was an all-time low in 2010. Superintendent Lambrecht stated that the District will keep monitoring the lake consistently. Superintendent Bingham commented that she and the Staff attends meetings in regards to the lake and researches the levels on an ongoing basis.
There being no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 7:11 p.m.