WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 9, 2015
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Committee/Commissioners: Chair; Pellaton, Wolfe, Shelly
Staff: Director Wilson, Felicicchia, Flynn, Smith, Udany, Eppelheimer, Rodas
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the September 14, 2015 Facilities Operation Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
Minutes approved as amended with the following change from Commissioner Wolfe, on page 3 of 4, VII. A, 2nd paragraph, 3rd sentence should read The Staff and Commissioners are concerned about….
III. Communications and Correspondence
Commissioner Pellaton commented on feedback he received from a mother of a skater who was reluctant to come back to Centennial after prior discussions last month. The changes made at Centennial have been positive. The Committee commented that they have not received any feedback since the changes made at Centennial. The Committee gave kudos to Staff.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Tennis, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- The Women’s travel leagues are up and running.
- Classes are continuing to fill up as the weather gets colder.
- The annual holiday sale will run from the day after Thanksgiving through December 31st.
- There is usually a lot of open court time sold over the Thanksgiving weekend.
- Free holiday guest passes and demo fee coupons will be mailed to all members to stimulate open court time sales over the holiday break.
- On December 28th, 29th, and 30th there will be two holiday camps offered for junior players. In the past these camps have been very popular. The camps will be Pirate Camp and Scallywags.
B. Paddle, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- Ania and her partner made it to the semifinals for the catholic charities benefit event.
- The Paddle club has a new instructor named Kevin Anderson to help with group lessons.
- There are two upcoming adult special events for the holidays, the Turkey Trot and Ugly Sweater Adult Mixers.
- Paddle leagues are in full match mode and the club is really busy.
- Five groups have reserved the hut between now and the end of the year with more inquiries coming in.
C. Pool, Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- The contractor has been out and has isolated the location of the leak. This should be covered by insurance. Superintendent Bowen reported that they will know more once they uncover the concrete. Commissioner Pellaton commented to take pictures of the area and leak.
- Recruiting for summer staff will begin with an initial email campaign the second week in November.
D. Ice Manager Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:
- There were 1,169 patrons at public skate during the month of October compared to 1,260 for the same period in 2014. Year to date ice is up 775 skaters for a total of 13,352.
- TGIF Skate will be held on November 20th from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.
- This was the fourth year we offered the Spooky Skate Event. Last year there were 51 people in attendance with over 40 in costume. This year, there were 115 in attendance with over 80 skaters in costume. This event was held on October 24th.
- Our Fall II session began on Monday, October 19th. There were 512 skaters registered compared to 566 in 2014, with registrations ongoing.
- Morning freestyle sessions continue to be busy with skaters from Evanston who made Centennial their new training center. These skaters and their coaches have adapted well to the policies and ice rules.
- The Super Sunday event is scheduled for Sunday, November 29th.
- The Loyola Thanksgiving Hockey Tournament will be held from Thursday, November 26th through Sunday, November 29th. Once again, Centennial will be hosting all of the championship games, which include Varsity, Junior Varsity and Girls Varsity.
- On December 13th, Centennial will be hosting the 4th Annual Skate with Santa event. This event is scheduled at the 1pm public skate session.
VI. Unfinished Business
Commissioner Pellaton asked about the theft at Paddle. Darrell Smith commented that the paddles are now being replaced with used paddles which have corrected the theft problem.
Commissioner Pellaton asked if Staff responded to Dana DeAne regarding Centennial pool and her comments from last month. Brian Udany commented that they have reached out to her.
Commissioner Wolfe asked about the vendor for pool and ice. Superintendent Bowen stated that Staff is currently working on the RFP and will report back to the Committee with updates.
VII. New Business
Commission Wolfe commented on the heaters at Paddle. The Committee discussed the heaters at paddle and how they seem to be problematic concerns on a regular basis. This should be addressed in the capital budget on a regular basis.
Commissioner Pellaton asked how Staff is working to increase memberships at Paddle. Superintendent Bowen stated that more teams have been added this year. Commissioner Shelly stated that down the road more courts will need to be added if we want to grow.
There being no further business to discuss the Committee adjourned at 6:53 p.m.