WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, October 10, 2015
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: John Olvany Chair, Stephanie Foster
Staff: Director Wilson, Jeff Bowen, Ken Eppelheimer, Mike Matchen, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise
Commissioner Shelley Shelly
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Foster moved and Commissioner Olvany seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the September 12, 2015 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. Managers’ Reports
Nick Marfise (Assistant Supt. of Golf Course) reported on the following:
- Staff is working on cleaning off the leaves on the course.
- Staff focused on aerification the last couple of weeks.
- Presented before and after pictures of the golf course since March with a significant difference of looking green and lush.
- Staff is working on sodding and patching areas that need it.
- On holes 5 and 13 with the fairway receding, the grass has continued to slow its growth. Staff is working with growing blankets to get these areas to grow.
- Blue grass experiment in certain areas is continuing to grow and will be a stronger healthier plant long term. The results being seen are something the District may want to consider down the road.
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf Business Manager) reported on the following:
- The heavy rainfall in September did not affect the golf course from opening as where surrounding courses were closed.
- September and October are outing months with many events scheduled.
- The District hosted the Midwest Golf Course Superintendents on Thursday, October 8th with a good turnout and many compliments on the golf course. Many people came to congratulate Mike Matchen on his 43 years. He was honored with a standing ovation.
- The Wilmette Golf Course is being honored in On Course Magazine.
- September is the second month in a row that the financials exceeded the prior year with $23,000 in revenue and over 450 rounds up.
- Budgets are being worked on.
- Commissioner Olvany asked what the number of rounds played in September. Adam Kwiatkoski commented there were about 4,400 rounds. He projects to be in the 33,000 to 34,000 rounds by the end of the season.
- Commissioner Olvany asked what the District was doing to promote golf with the younger kids. Adam Kwiatkoski commented that they started a junior program this year. The junior program competed with other clubs in the area. This program will continue for next year with a house and travel team. To attract more women golfers a four week program was put together for new golfers.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
The next meeting will be November 7th which will consist of the budget. There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:05 a.m.