WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, January 11, 2016
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Committee/Commissioners: Chair; Pellaton, Wolfe, Shelly
Staff: Director Wilson, Felicicchia, Flynn, Smith, Udany, Eppelheimer
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the November 9, 2015 Facilities Operation Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A. Email from Nancy Schumacher re: Summer Swim Team
Commissioner Pellaton acknowledged an email from Nancy Schumacher. Ms. Schumacher addressed the Committee to see if the District would be willing to look at options of a summer swim team that is not as competitive as league teams. Superintendent Bowen stated that the Staff will look into some options to pursue this opportunity further.
B. Letter from Paddie Brennen re: New Trier Food Pantry Donation
Commissioner Pellaton acknowledged a thank you letter from Paddie Brennen and thanked the Staff.
C. Letter from Amy Russell re: Centennial Ice Rink
Commissioner Pellaton acknowledged a thank you letter from Amy Russell regarding Centennial Ice Rink and thanked the Staff.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Kathy Routliffe, Pioneer Press
Nancy Schumacher, 723 Forest Avenue, Wilmette
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Tennis, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- The spring basic level lottery will be held on January 16th. There was a record number of 631 signed up with only 475 spots available. Staff will do their best to accommodate as many people as possible.
- The USTA adult league made it through sectionals to nationals and won.
B. Paddle, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- Three of the women’s teams moved up in paddle.
- Paddle and Pizza night will be February 12th.
- An adult paddle event will be held on February 12th from 7-10:30 pm.
- The Paddle Hut has been booked for events for 1/22, 1/23, 1/29, 1/30, 2/6, and 2/20.
- There are currently 265 members.
C. Pool, Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- Interviews are ongoing.
- Three Dive In Movies are set up this summer: June 18th, July 16th, and August 13th.
- Two DJ’s on Deck events set up: June 25th and July 9th.
- The pool leak has been repaired.
D. Ice Manager Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:
- The December public skate numbers where at 2,362 which is slightly down from 2,655; but overall public skate number are 1.75% higher with 17,838 skaters.
- Fall II session had 630 registered compared to 627 in 2014.
- The Holiday Skating Camp had 181 participants compared to 161 in 2014.
- The Winter Session had 582 skaters enrolled with registrations still coming in.
- The Fourth Annual Skate with Santa event had 179 people attend.
- The annual ice show registration began on January 4th, with solo tryouts scheduled for January 23rd.
- The Ice Show will be held on May 13, 14, and 15.
VI. Unfinished Business
A. Memo re: Bid Recommendation for Concession at Centennial
Superintendent Bowen commented that the legal notification was placed on November 18th with a bid opening date of December 28th. He received two bids; one from WBR and the other from Organic Life. Staff recommends WBR. They could be up and running within 30 days. There will be healthy options available. There is a 30 day out clause if they do not work out.
Commissioner Wolfe moved and Commissioner Shelly seconded a motion to approve the Staff to move forward with the bid from WPR as the food concession vendor as recommended by the Facilities Committee. All agreed; motion carried.
VII. New Business
There being no further business to discuss the Committee adjourned at 7:07 p.m.