WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, January 16, 2016
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Shelley Shelly Chair, Stephanie Foster, Gordon Anderson
Staff: Director Wilson, Jeff Bowen, Ken Eppelheimer, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise, Marlon Rodas
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Foster moved and Commissioner Anderson seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the November 7, 2015 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. Managers’ Reports
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- The Golf Course closed for the season on November 20th.
- Staff is working with IT to prepare the software system for the season.
- Staff is in the process of rewriting some job descriptions.
- Staff is working on employee evaluations.
- Staff is in the process of ordering supplies for the 2016 season.
- He is attending the PGA merchandise show the last weekend in January to see all the new offerings with multiple vendors present.
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- The maintenance parking lot was used for an extended period as a dumping ground which has been cleaned up. This will not be used as this again in the future.
- The golf course has been heavily sand top dressed on the greens to protect against the winter elements. Nick explained how the elements can affect the grass.
- The cross country ski trail will have better signage moving forward. There has not been enough consistency of snow at this time to accommodate cross country skiing. Staff will keep an eye on the weather. The industry recommendation is about 4-6 inches as a base.
- Presented and discussed the golf course greens and the different grasses.
- Staff is working on all the amenities around the golf course for clean-up and maintenance such as the garbage cans, ball washers, signage, and racks. The goal is to have all those amenities detailed and look brand new for the season.
- Discussed removal process of mold from the greens.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
A. Promotional Strategy Development
Adam Kwiatkoski highlighted on the promotional strategy that Marlon Rodas has been working on for golf. This is the first pass at some of these ideas. These will be modified and improved upon.
Marlon presented and discussed with the Committee the promotional strategy as outlined in the packet. Commissioner Shelly asked about the survey option. Marlon stated that it will be 3 to 4 questions at the most. Director Wilson pointed out that the District does a lot of surveys using survey monkey. Commissioner Shelly wanted Staff to be aware of how many surveys are going out so there are not too many. Commissioner Shelly commented to add soccer Saturdays for promotional strategies. Commissioner Shelly commented on junior golf memberships and marketing to the junior highs and high schools; possibly through the school newsletter. The Committee discussed other promotional strategies for marketing the golf course. Commissioner Anderson commented on mixer ideas to get more people involved. Adam discussed the different trends in golf and how to accommodate those trends.
B. Golf Outing Policy
Adam Kwiatkoski commented on the discussion last month regarding event scheduling and having the golf course open for play while accommodating for events. A modification has been made to the policy as outlined in the packet under Outing Rates and Services. The change will reflect that shotgun play will be at the discretion of the General Manager and reviewing on a case by case basis. The Committee and Staff discussed the guidelines on how this will work.
The Committee discussed pace of play. Adam discussed how the District works with the pace of play on the course. A resident would like to see that the rangers are empowered to push the pace of play along and follow the policy. Director Wilson commented that the rangers are empowered it is just a matter of enforcing this. Staff will review this further.
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:52 a.m.