WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, February 8, 2016
6:30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Committee/Commissioners: Chair; Pellaton, Wolfe, Shelly
Staff: Director Wilson, Felicicchia, Flynn, Smith, Udany, Eppelheimer
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 6:31 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Wolfe moved and Commissioner Shelly seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the January 11, 2016 Facilities Operations Committee meeting. All voted yes, the motion carried.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A. Email re: Evanston NorthShore Masters Swim Team
Commissioner Pellaton acknowledged an email from Kathleen O’Laughlin. Ms. O’Laughliln and Mr. Dodson addressed the Committee about the possibility of swimming at Centennial during off hours. She presented the Committee with a proposal. Mr. Dodson feels that this proposal could be a “win-win” situation. He stated that he could get 60 members with the possibility of expanding the program through the Park District. The Committee discussed the logistics of what it would entail for the pool to function on off hours. The Committee is in favor of pursuing this idea further to see what can work. Ms. O’Laughlin and Mr. Dodson will get together with Staff to discuss the proposal further.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Kathleen O’Laughlin, Evanston NorthShore Swim Team
Phil Dodson, Evanston NorthShore Swim Team
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Tennis, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- The marketing efforts that were underway for the membership drive helped to contribute to 641 members as compared to 621 last year.
- The Coupon book won 1st place at the IPRA Conference.
- Staff is working on the lottery brochure for next season.
- Pro Shop sale will be held March 1-31st.
- Indoor court sales have been good due to the bad weather. This has helped to sell half year memberships.
B. Paddle, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- The hut has 5 reservations for February and 3 booked in March.
- The Monday Night Ladies group sold out and a second offering on Monday nights was added with 21 participants enrolled in the two classes.
- A variety of spring classes have been added that will run late March through May.
C. Ice Manager Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:
- Public skate numbers for the month of January were at 2,902 compared to 3,189 in 2015.
- The winter learn to skate session has 780 participants compared to 808 in 2015.
- Wilmette Hockey Association will be hosting several Northern Illinois Hockey League playoff games held at Centennial February 15th through March 5th.
- New concession vendor, Shark Shack, started on January 29th with positive feedback so far.
- There are 225 registered for the ice show. This is the highest number in 4 years. 41 skaters attended the tryouts and all skaters were awarded something. Ticket sales look like they will be over budget for the ice show.
D. Pool, Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- Interviews are ongoing for all positions.
- Staff is currently working on certification programs.
VI. Unfinished Business
A. Summer Swim Team Update
Superintendent Bowen reported that Staff has not heard back from Nancy Schumacher. Commissioner Shelly would like Staff to reach out to her and give her Commissioner Shelly’s contact information.
B. Outdoor Tennis Wall at Maple Park
Superintendent Bowen commented that the expense for a fiberglass tennis wall would cost about $5,000. Staff discussed that the only viable location would be Maple Park. The Committee decided to table this topic for now and possibly add it to the 2017 capital budget list.
VII. New Business
There being no further business to discuss the Committee adjourned at 7:08 p.m.