Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 11, 2016
6:30 p.m. – Park District Administrative Office

Attendees Present

Committee/Commissioners: Chair: Ryrie Pellaton, Amy Wolfe, Shelley Shelly
Superintendent Bowen

Staff: Darrell Smith, Brian Udany, Sean Flynn, Cindy Felicicchia, Superintendents: Lambrecht, Eppelheimer, Bingham

Commissioner Abbott

Attendees Absent


I. Meeting  Called to Order

Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m.

II. Approval of Minutes

A. Commissioner Wolfe moved and Commissioner Shelly seconded a motion to approve the minutes as amended of the March 14, 2016 Facilities Operations Committee meeting. All voted yes, the motion carried.

III. Communications and Correspondence


IV. Recognition of Visitors


V. Managers’ Reports

A. Tennis, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:

  • The lottery deadline was held April 11th. There were 160 applicants for 141 court times.
  • Staff was busy cleaning the facility the week of spring break.
  • New court net dividers were installed.
  • Staff is looking to hire a few members for the summer teaching position for morning camp.
  • Summer class registration begins on May 3rd and 4th.
  • There are currently over 400 campers registered.

B. Paddle, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:

  • Spring session has 39 adults and 4 kids registered.
  • The men’s league is full with 32 players and a waiting list. The women’s league has 26 players.
  • The men’s series 2, 15 and 27 won their playoff matches.
  • The Paddle Hut had 40 rentals this season compared to 24 the previous year.
  • There are currently 256 members.

C. Pool, Brian Udany reported on the following topics:

  • Interviews are continuing for summer staff.
  • A new adult master’s swim program has been set up in conjunction with the Evanston Master’s program held at Centennial. The Committee discussed naming the program Wilmette Masters. Registration information will be forthcoming by May 1st.
  • In-pool certifications start on May 16th. May 23rd is the first day for lifeguard training and orientation for pool staff.
  • Early bird sales have been going slow due to the weather. Traditionally if the last two weeks are nice in April then sales will be up. Commissioner Shelly suggested cross promoting this with golf on nice weather days.

D. Ice Manager, Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:

  • Spring classes and ice show rehearsals begin on Monday, April 18th.
  • Ice Show ticket sales go on sale at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, April 18th.
  • There were 1,467 patrons at public skate sessions in March compared to 1,704 in March of last year.
  • Open Hockey sessions began in March with 223 participants compared to 278 last year.
  • The rink liner recycling program was held on Sunday, April 17th from 11-3 p.m. with great success.
  • The security camera installation will finish up this week. Staff will get these running by May 1st.

VI. Unfinished Business

A. Adult Masters Swimming Update

Superintendent Bowen reported that the program is ready to go. Marketing is finishing up some promotional pieces and registration will begin by May 1st. The Committee discussed what the name of the program should be. Superintendent Bowen commented on Wilmette Masters. The Committee discussed offering a one day trial for this program. Brian Udany commented that staff has done this for years with other programs as well.

B. Parking at Paddle Update

Superintendent Lambrecht stated that Staff is discussing options of additional parking with the Village. The Village will include in their design the option to put perpendicular parking on the west side of West Park Drive. This parking will benefit paddle as well as the fields. Director Wilson commented that the cost of this will be an unbudgeted cost of $200,000. Director Wilson commented that this may not be an option; the District is in discussions with ComEd on easement.

C. Additional Low Chairs at Paddle Hut

Superintendent Bowen commented that the low chairs are $325.00 a chair. They will add these to the budget for next year.

D. League Rules for Paddle and Number of Courts Update

Superintendent Bowen commented on leagues rules and what they may be implementing. Staff has contacted Alan Graham the head of the paddle leagues. According to him, in 2016-2017 the league is going to hold any facility that has 4 courts to the same number of teams they had in 2015-2016. Then, in 2017-2018 the rule will be that you can only have 3 teams per court. The District’s limit would be 12 teams compared to 17 now. Superintendent Bowen commented that formal guidelines from Alan Graham will be sent this week for clarification. Commissioner Shelly would like the District to have a stronger voice in discussing this with Alan Graham before the guidelines are set. Commissioner Shelly asked Staff to follow up with Alan Graham and Ania regarding these matters. Further discussions on this matter will continue next month. Commissioner Shelly asked that the District put bylaws and rules in place. Commissioner Wolfe and Commissioner Foster concur that they would also like to see more structure with leagues in place through the District. 

E. Sound System at Centennial Options

Superintendent Bowen commented on the quote that came in for a sound system engineer which was very high. Staff is in the process of finalizing the second quote which is much lower. This sound system consists of the paging and music throughout Centennial. Commissioner Pellaton would like to see in the future for everything and anything more than one quote received. Superintendent Lambrecht commented that this is only for the design work not installation. The work for supply and installation will go through the bid process. 

VII. New Business


VIII. Adjournment

There being no further business to discuss the Committee adjourned at 7:12 p.m.