WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, April 9, 2016
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Stephanie Foster, Gordon Anderson
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Foster moved and Commissioner Anderson seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the March 12, 2016 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
The minutes were approved with the following change: Page 3 of 3, Paragraph 1, last sentence should read, “Commissioner Shelly and Commissioner Foster agreed, not The Committee agreed. The motion will reflect voting No: Commissioner Anderson.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Frank Charhut a club member thanked the Committee for the way they have represented the golf course.
V. Managers’ Reports
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- The golf course opened on March 16th two weeks ahead of schedule from last year.
- There were 480 rounds of golf played in March.
- There are currently 183 patrons registered for classes which are about the same as last year.
- There are currently 317 memberships sold compared to 281 at this time last year.
- On March 7th, OGC had their kickoff dinner with 115 members present from the men’s club. The men’s club had 18 new members sign up.
- There is a new women’s league program that is held on Wednesday nights.
- The PGA junior golf league will be held on Thursday nights. A travel league consisting of 12 golfers will be formed from this group.
- The Golf Shop is being restocked with new merchandise for the 2016 season.
- The permanent tee times will begin on April 23rd.
- The Midwest Amateurs Junior Golf tour is coming up with 126 players.
- CDGA qualifier is coming up April 27th.
- There is a $10,000 hole in one contest on hole #16. The District is partnering with Digital Technologies Group for this promotion.
- A WPD Golf Mobile App will be available with GPS tracking, marketing opportunities, scoring, scheduling tee times, weather alerts, etc. The Committee discussed how this App will work.
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- The course has been opened for 25 days and 13 of the 25 days there has been some significant type of rain. In the last 9 days, 8 out of the 9 days have been with rain.
- The course is looking good.
- There is no damage to the course in regards to the cross country ski trails. The approach for setting up the course for future cross country trails will be looked at differently by Staff before next winter.
- Staff is working on bunker clean up. Nick outlined the process of bunker clean up and what it entails.
- Superintendent Bowen reported that new golf carts are on the capital plan for next year. The bid process will start this summer.
VI. Unfinished Business
A. Update on Cross Country Trails
Director Wilson reported that there is no lasting damage as outlined by Nick above.
B. Promotional Update
Superintendent Bowen reported that Staff is continuing to work with their marketing plan and highlighted on some of the ideas going forward.
VII. New Business
Commissioner Foster commented on an email from Commissioner Olvany regarding foot golf. She asked the Staff where they stand on this. Adam commented that they are open to any new ideas that could bring people to the golf course. He discussed acreage with foot golf. He is concerned with the space that may be needed.
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:30 a.m.