WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 9, 2016
6:30 p.m. – Village Hall Training Room


Attendees Present

Committee/Commissioners: Chair: Ryrie Pellaton, Amy Wolfe, Shelley Shelly
Superintendent Bowen

Staff: Director Wilson, Darrell Smith, Brian Udany, Sean Flynn, Ania Kazakevich, Cindy Felicicchia; Superintendents: Lambrecht, Eppelheimer, Bingham
Commissioners Abbott, Anderson, Olvany

Attendees Absent

None

I. Meeting  Called to Order

Meeting called to order at 6:34 p.m.

II. Approval of Minutes

A. Commissioner Wolfe moved and Commissioner Shelly seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the April 11, 2016 Facilities Operations Committee meeting. All voted yes, the motion carried.

The minutes were approved with the following change: on Page 2 of 3, B. Paddle: 3rd bullet should have a comma after 2. All voted yes; motion carried.

III. Communications and Correspondence

Commissioner Shelly acknowledged and email addressed to Ania Kazakevich from Alan Graham and Bill O’Brien regarding paddle league team limits. This topic will be addressed under Unfinished Business.

IV. Managers’ Reports

A. Pool, Brian Udany reported on the following topics:

  • Interviews are continuing for lifeguards, swim instructors and pool maintenance.
  • Early bird discounts were extended through May 6th.
  • Membership sales are ahead from last year at this time. Superintendent Bowen reported that sales are up $19,000 from last year through May 6th. Staff will review different options for offering early bird sales for next year.
  • Main and Diving Pools are full. Switches will be turned on May 10, 2016.
  • First lifeguard class training starts on May 23rd.
  • Pool opens Memorial Day Weekend from 1-6 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

B. Ice Manager, Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:

  • Spring Learn to Skate classes started on April 18th with 278 participants compared to 295 in 2015.
  • Public skate numbers for the month of April was 1,389 compared to 1,094 in 2015.
  • Open Hockey session continued in April with 125 participants compared to 107 in 2015. Open Hockey will continue through August.
  • There are 226 skaters in the Ice Show. 1,429 tickets have been sold thus far.
  • Security system is up and running and working well.

C. Tennis, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:

  • 127 permanent court times have been sold thus far.
  • The 2015/2016 Permanent Court Time season ended on May 7th.
  • There are currently 434 campers enrolled. Staff was able to remove 20 campers off the waiting list for Pirate camp. 
  • Three of the four women teams made it to the playoffs. One team finished in first place and the other two teams took second place.
  • The Wilmette Women’s Tennis Association (WWTA) teams begin their matches on May 23rd.
  • Gillson and Maple courts are scheduled to be resurfaces this spring.
  • Staff is in the process of preparing evaluations on basic level and junior excellence programs.

D. Paddle, Ania Kazakevich reported on the following topics:

  • 14 of the 17 men’s leagues made the playoffs.
  • Series 2, 15, and 17 won their divisions.
  • Trophy plaques are on display at the paddle hut.
  • There are 5 women’s teams.
  • Discussed the different series and a pro playing on the women’s teams. More discussions to follow based on what a pro means.
  • There will be new classes coming in the fall.
  • There are 32 players in the men’s in-house league which is at full capacity. Looking to expand this program in the fall to two nights.

V. Recognition of Visitors

Tom Gates, Wilmette resident, commented on his use of the all the facilities at the Park District and the great job Staff is doing. He commented on the demand for paddle and how it is growing. He would like the District to consider more courts.

VI. Unfinished Business

A. Wilmette Masters Update
The new program, Wilmette Masters is operational. There are currently 15 patrons registered. Promotional marketing items are forthcoming.

B. Additional Parking at West Park Update
Director Wilson reported this project will be delayed until next year. The Village received higher bids that they were seeking and since it is a less traveled road waiting until next year makes sense.  This will give the District time to budget for the project as well. Superintendent Lambrecht is still working with ComEd on the easement/lease.

C. League Rules for Paddle Update
Superintendent Bowen reported on the email that was sent to Ania from Alan Graham and Bill O’Brien regarding guidelines for men’s teams. The guidelines state that changes for the 2017-2018 season will be made for team limits based on the number of courts in their facility which will not be able to exceed their court capacity. Therefore, the District will be held to 3 per court so 12 teams for 4 courts. Currently there are 17 teams. Director Wilson presented his research based on discussions with the surrounding areas and what they are doing with paddle, number of courts and guidelines. Discussions have taken place to see what influence the surrounding areas can have in this rule making process. Director Wilson explained that by adding two more courts the District would just be meeting the current users. He stated that requests have been made for the financials from Alan Graham and the paddle league. Staff is waiting on more financials and once this is complete Director Wilson will report back to the Committee. The goal is to extend the impact of the 2017-2018 and future years.

D. Bylaws/Rules for Paddle Play Update
Director Wilson reported that the Series 1 ladies teams has different guidelines in place when doing their drills and paying for their drills. The District will be moving Series 1 teams in the same paradigm as the rest of the teams. The Committee agreed for Staff to move forward with this plan. 

E. Sound System at Centennial Update
Superintendent Bowen commented that the cost of this project is coming in over budget. Staff is looking into ways to possibly do the design work now and next year the reminder of the project. 

VII. New Business

None

VIII. Adjournment

There being no further business to discuss the Committee adjourned at 7:29 p.m.