WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, May 14, 2016
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Chair, Stephanie Foster, Gordon Anderson
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Anderson moved and Commissioner Foster seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the April 9, 2016 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A. Wilmette Golf Club Articles
Adam Kwiatkoski highlighted on two articles that were published regarding the CDGA and MAJGT events held at the golf course. These articles are great exposure for the golf course.
B. Thank you Cards
The 126 kids that attended the MAJGT event at the golf course all wrote thank you cards to Staff.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
V. Managers’ Reports
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- Staff is getting ready for all the upcoming special events.
- Women’s Golf Association has started their season. There are five ladies leagues.
- Men’s Twilight Leagues has started on Thursday nights.
- The $10,000 Hole-in-One contest currently has 273 participants.
- As of May 1st classes as a whole are at 97% of what enrollment was last year.
- The new women’s program has been well received. Enrollment is filled to capacity for both May and June.
- The junior league program that was started last year had 14 participants and 28 participants this year.
- The rounds of golf have not been ideal due to the rainy weather.
- As of May 1st 378 memberships have been sold compared to 362 last year.
- Commissioner Anderson asked to see a comparison report based on last year and this year. He would also like to see revenue numbers tied to memberships.
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- For the month of April there were a total of 2.9 inches of rain. So far for May there have been 4.04 inches.
- The grounds and landscaping were discussed and how they are progressing.
- Soil sample results showed that there is a lot of heavy top growth.
- The process of aerification was discussed and presented.
- Bunker maintenance update was discussed.
Frank Charhut asked about more sand being on the bunkers. Nick clarified that this area in question is when the golf ball rests against the inside edge of the bunker. Nick commented that these areas have been edged and sand has been pulled away from the grass.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
Adam highlighted on the mobile app and the positive feedback that has been received.
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:15 a.m.