WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, June 11, 2016
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Chair, Stephanie Foster, Gordon Anderson, Shelley Shelly
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Anderson moved and Commissioner Shelly seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the May 14, 2016 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A. Article from Facility Focus re: Wilmette Golf Club
Commissioner Foster acknowledged the nice article in Facility Focus regarding the golf course.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Frank Charhut, Wilmette Resident, commented on the trees and plaques. Nick Marfise reported that the goal is to clean up the trees and find the plaques and make sure they are visible and located. Currently on the course when you go past some of the trees the plagues are not presentable. Staff is also trying to create a directory for those that have donated.
Mr. Charhut commented on doing a memorial at the golf course such as plaques hanging in the hallways. He is looking for suggestions. Director Wilson commented that Staff is more than happy to work with him and come up with a solution.
Mr. Charhut commented that the website when making a reservation under availability spot taking too much time. Patrons are not sure if the system is thinking or not working. He suggested seeing the names of the people playing golf and not just “booked”. Adam commented that if they are a member you can see their name.
V. Managers’ Reports
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- Nick presented and discussed the landscape plans for the golf course.
- Spring aerification was completed on May 9th. Staff worked hard on making the course smooth again. Course is being top dressed with the sand.
- Blue grass tees look thick, dense, and very healthy.
- Due to spring rains areas are thinner. Staff is working with these areas.
- On holes #5 and #15 with the Kentucky Blue Grass Staff is continuing treatments of these holes. Results are very positive.
- Canopy temperatures are regulated by Staff.
- Due to the lack of Staff some of the detailed things have been behind. Such as, weeds at the club house, string trimming, mowing around tree bases and bunker faces.
- Staff continues to monitor the hours and cost with maintaining the bunkers.
- Working on scheduling a tour with the USGA Agronomist. More information on the date forthcoming.
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- May 23rd was the first hole in one winner of $10,000 on the 16th hole.
- Programming has started for the season and going well.
- The men’s club held two events this past month that were well attended.
- A new event called the Medicare Masters was held for ages 60 and over. There were 67 patrons that participated.
- The history of membership pricing was discussed.
- Through June 1st the course was opened 75 days and 40 of those days golf carts could not be rented due to wet conditions. Rental revenues are down.
- Expense line item looks good on the budget thus far.
- There is a 4 foot pole that sits in the middle of the fairway that people like to aim at. Sits 150 yards from the green. It gets in the way of trying to mow the fairway and some people feel it’s tacky. Staff thought it was tacky and removed it. Staff is taking a poll to see what patrons think.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:58 a.m.