WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, July 9, 2016
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Chair, Stephanie Foster, Gordon Anderson, Shelley Shelly
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Foster moved and Commissioner Shelly seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the June 11, 2016 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
Frank Charhut, Wilmette Resident
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Frank Charhut read a letter regarding approval of an outdoor memorial bench and its cost to procure donors for its expense. Director Wilson commented that the Committee approved in a prior meeting for Staff to discuss memorial options with Mr. Charhut. Nick Marfise reported that he has been researching getting costs for a bench. Nick reported Staff likes the idea of a bench since they are needed. The cost is estimated to be between $2,000 and $2,500. This includes all labor and materials. Nick mentioned that this is an option to do all of the benches since they are in need of updating. Commissioner Foster asked if the District is aiming to do benches as a memorial program. Adam Kwiatkoski reported that in the past it has been trees. At this time there is a need for benches so getting a program in place with benches makes sense. Nick reported that part of cost includes a plaque. Staff is discussing options of incorporating the plaque. The Committee discussed the need of benches and how many may be needed, but not 18. Adam highlighted that the bench program could create more opportunities for contributing which will in turn enhance the golf course. Staff will continue to discuss options of rolling out the memorial program in the fall or the end of the year. Nick will gather information regarding cost benefit analysis for a memorial program. Staff will work with Mr. Charhut in the short term to come up with a dollar amount.
V. Managers’ Reports
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- Several events have been held with great success.
- Junior league teams have started their matches and are going well.
- The men’s club, OGC hosted the Medicare Masters in June which was a success.
- The Women’s group WGA hosted a member guest day with a Circus theme and fun had by all.
- The Ouilmette Foundation outing was held on June 24th with 84 participants and great weather.
- Junior golf camps have started.
- Three successful Demo days where held and went well.
- There was $1,000 more in sales for June than in June 2015. Driven by the success of those Demo days.
Jeff Bowen (Superintendent of Facilities) reported on the following:
- Golf is down in all revenue items to date. Overall the District is up 70 new members versus last year. The District lost 4 regular foursomes which were about a $21,000 loss. Salaries are down, good efforts were made by Adam when scheduling in the pro shop. Nick is down about $8,000 in his budget due to the lack of ability to hire people. People are not willing to do the labor jobs. At this time the District is about $43,000 under budget. The Committee discussed other golf courses in the area and how they are doing.
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- Presented the landscaping on the course and how it looks good. Nick showed the beds and the changes made.
- Bunkers were discussed with the 1.58 inches of rain the end of June. He explained how staff worked hard to get the bunkers back. He explained how the three bunkers that were redone last fall are working well. It took 45 man hours to fix all of the other bunkers. Nick feels down the road all of the green side bunkers should be fixed first. A resident commented that the fixed bunkers help with pace of play.
- The programs for the grass that have been put in place have been working very well.
- Nick explained how watering process on the course.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:20 a.m.