WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, October 29, 2016
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Chair, Stephanie Foster, Gordon Anderson, Shelley Shelly
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise, Ken Eppelheimer, Jamie Locke
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Anderson seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the September 10, 2016 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
Commissioner Foster commented on emails received from Fred Watson and Sue Salay which were included in the packet.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
The Attendance Record will become part of the permanent record.
Frank Charhut – read a letter thanking the Board for allowing for a bench to be donated in honor of Dick Morrison at the golf course. He also shared a picture of what the bench and plaque will look like. Through donations made to the Dick Morrison Memorial fund, all costs of the bench will be covered.
Golf Course Superintendent Nick Marfise reported that he has been working with Mr. Charhut on the design and he fully supports the design and placement of the bench.
Mr. Charhut also shared information from a recent meeting of the CDGA.
Kerry Haskin – in support of Fred Watson letter and would like to see capital allocated for bunker renovations in next year’s budget – would like to see the green-side bunkers done in one year versus spread out over a few years.
Bill Lemieux – former President of Men’s Club also wants improved bunkers – thinks course needs to be improved to draw new golfers.
Ken Sutchar –thanked the WDGA for putting in the fountain. Shared his concern with Hoffman Excavating–wants a wall built near the operation to help with sound. He would also like to see two of the Par 4 holes become Par 5. R. Sutchar recognized Nick Marfise for his hard work.
V. Managers’ Reports
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- Talked about Hoffman Excavating.
- Paving has been completed. Staff will be adding gravel to the edge of the maintenance road to address the grade in specific areas.
- Split tee boxes – would involve receiving a new rating from CDGA, Jamie will address.
- Provided a recap of the year and shared pictures. He highlighted the impact the rain had on the course in July and the effect it had on growing grass. Nick also explained the seeding that has been done throughout the season.
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- Reviewed course statistics by month.
- Gave an overview of recent outings – all have re-booked for 2017. A few events had to be cancelled due to weather.
- Classes and instruction are finished for the season.
- Golf camp revenue is up $13,000 from 2015.
- Changes will be made to the adult classes for 2017 to improve participation.
VI. Proposed FY 2017 Golf Budget Review & 5 Year Review
Superintendent Bowen reported that fees will be increased in certain areas and the Committee discussed the proposed increases and ways to consider including the $3 surcharge in the unlimited membership fee. The Committee approved the increases and gave staff direction to explore options for capturing the surcharge.
The Committee discussed the possible replacement of the golf carts and the value of replacement versus repair of the current fleet.The bunker renovation process and the value of this were also discussed.
Superintendent Bowen gave an overview of the 2016 golf season and the associated expenses and revenue.
The Committee reviewed the items listed on the capital plan.
Membership costs will be reviewed by staff, and staff will communicate options individually to the Committee members.
VII. Unfinished Business
VIII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 11:07 a.m.