WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, February 11, 2017
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Chair, Stephanie Foster, Shelley Shelly
Staff: Steve Wilson, Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise, Ken Eppelheimer, Jamie Locke
Superintendent Jeff Bowen
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Foster seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the October 29, 2016 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
The Attendance Record will become part of the permanent record.
Tim Terchek, 2500 Iroquois – Mentioned that it has been very cold in clubhouse, even in the summertime.
Adam acknowledged that the temperature does fluctuate at times and staff is working on identifying the problem.
V. Managers’ Reports
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- Josh Malady, the new Assistant Superintendent has been hired. He will start February 20.
- Fairways were already sprayed with tenacity and dormant seeded at the ended of last season. Staff is now working on reseeding and covering some small troubled areas.
- Work has started on the new USGA nursery green which is located between holes 6 and 8. Drain lines have been installed with layers of native soil, gravel and sand. The new turf from this green will be used when patching is necessary.
- Staff will begin work on the greenside bunker project when the weather is conducive. He provided an overview of the project and hopes to have the front nine completed before the season starts and possibly complete the back nine in the fall.
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- Nick recently attended the GAS show.
- Recently attended the PGA merchandise show.
- Golf carts will be here around first week in April.
- New apparel line will be introduced in the pro shop.
- Lots of planning and marketing is being done for golf.
- The gold and silver membership fees have increased but the $3.00 surcharge was eliminated.
- Approximately 25 memberships have been sold to date.
- Gave an overview of the class offerings. The May, June, and July sessions of the new family golf class on Tuesday nights are already full.
VI. Unfinished Business
In response to a question from a visitor, Director Wilson and Adam noted that the February committee meeting will include a presentation about the year-end golf operations.
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:03 a.m.