WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Facilities Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 8, 2017
6:30 p.m. – Village Hall Training Room
Committee/Commissioners: Chair: Shelly, Wolfe, Foster
Staff: Superintendent Bowen
Staff: Director Wilson, Brian Udany, Darrell Smith, Sean Flynn, Carol Heafey, Superintendent Lambrecht
Commissioners: Anderson, Olvany, Pellaton
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 6:35 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Foster moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the April 10, 2017 Facilities Operations Committee meeting as amended. All voted yes, the motion carried.
III. Communications and Correspondence
A paddle member wrote an email explaining that users from the athletic fields are entering the hut to use the bathroom facilities and have tracked dirt and debris into the hut. The member believes that non paddle members should not be allowed to enter the building. After some discussion with the committee members, the Committee believes that this is a public building and anyone should be able to use it. The Committee instructed staff to monitor the situation.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
The Attendance Record will become part of the permanent record.
V. Managers’ Reports
A. Pool, Brian Udany reported on the following topics:
- Staff is busy preparing for the pool opening.
- Still looking for pool maintenance staff.
- Staff training begins soon May 22-26.
- New handicapped lift and new deck furniture have been added.
- Advertising for end of season pool staff to keep pool open later.
B. Ice, Sean Flynn reported on the following topics:
- Sound system will be ready for the ice show.
- Spring classes have 275 participants.
- May 22-29 the rink will be shut down for the ice to be painted.
- Hosted the community garage on May 5with 23 vendors.
- May 13 will host Touch a Truck from 10-noon.
C. Tennis, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- April 29 held permanent court lottery - sold 126 court times, still ongoing.
- May 13 spring season ends and lessons end May 19.
- June 16 ladies round robin, get ready for summer with potluck.
- Cardio tennis this summer at Gillson. More than 80 women have registered.
D. Paddle, Darrell Smith reported on the following topics:
- Ania is finalizing the guideline for women’s teams and is meeting with the men’s captains.
- Season is winding down.
- Ladies league is reorganizing to get back to ten teams per series.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
A. Bid for Paddle Court Construction
Superintendent Lambrecht reported that one bid was received. There are only two companies in the country that build paddle courts. The original estimate from last April was $218,000, compared to the $339,000 bid. The company did not take the soil conditions in to account with the original estimate and the additional cost is for concrete. Superintendent Lambrecht initially recommended the bid be approved and after the discussion with the committee, he removed his recommendation.
Director Wilson added that the delay of the project will result in new courts not being complete by the beginning of the fall season.
Following discussion, the Committee agreed to continue exploring options for the court construction.
There being no further business to discuss the Facilities Operations Committee meeting was adjourned at 7:07 p.m.