WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Golf Operations Committee Meeting Minutes
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, May 13, 2017
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: Chair, John Olvany, Stephanie Foster, Ryrie Pellaton
Staff: Steve Wilson, Jeff Bowen Adam Kwiatkoski, Nick Marfise, Josh Malady, Jamie Locke
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Foster moved and Commissioner Pellaton seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the April 8, 2017 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
The Attendance Record will become part of the permanent record.
Tim Terchak, 2500 Iroquois, Wilmette - course conditions are not good and asked to have a portion of the membership fee returned to the members.
Frank Charcut, 139 Riverside Drive, Northfield – handicapped system may change –advised to be sure to contact CDGA.
Fred Watson, 1601 Ashland Ave., Wilmette – because of course conditions, a portion of the membership fees should be returned to the members.
Sue Salay, 715 Ridge, Wilmette – Ms. Salay thanked the staff for their support of the Women’s Leagues and noted that the club would not be viable without the nonresident players. She spoke on behalf of the players stating that they are loyal members and are being flexible regarding the course conditions.
V. Managers’ Reports
Jeff Bowen, Superintendent of Facilities, reported on the following:
- Reviewed current financials and gave an overview of the current financial results as outlined in the report. The Committee discussed the current shortfall in revenue and the increase in expense from the report and asked for clarification.
Adam Kwiatkoski (Golf General Manager) reported on the following:
- The course is once again having the “Hole in One” contest on the 16th hole.
- Because of the current course conditions, staff has been discussing options for acknowledging and thanking members for their loyalty.
- The Committee recommended not waiting until the end of the season to recognize their loyalty.
Nick Marfise (Golf Course Superintendent) reported on the following:
- For the benefit of the new committee members, Nick gave an overview of the course and the improvements that have taken place over the last two-three years, along with a description of the current projects. The goal is to have the bunker project completed by Memorial Day.
- He included an explanation of the science behind growing grass and the types of grass on the course.
Adam described the ways staff is communicating with members and payers. The Committee stressed the importance of keeping open the lines of communication with the membership regarding the course conditions.
VI. Unfinished Business
VII. New Business
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:54 a.m.