WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
GOLF OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING
Date: March 20, 2010 Place: Golf Course
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Attendance: Commissioners: Graham, Crowley, Wolff
Staff: Bowen, Matchen, Callaghan, Grisamore, Bingham, Wilson
Visitors: Drew Langer
Topics of Discussion
1) Meeting Called to Order
2) Approval of Minutes
3) Recognition of Visitors
4) Managers Reports
5) Tee Time Reservation System Demo
6) Open Kitchens Lease Extension
1) The meeting was called to order at 8:37 a.m.
2) The Committee approved the minutes of the February 23, 2010 Committee meeting by General Consent.
3) Drew Langer, Eagle Scout candidate, presented the Committee with information on his Eagle Scout project involving the design and planting of a garden on the course. Commissioner Graham commended the Scout on his project and his proposed work on the course.
4) Dennis Callaghan reported that the course opened on March 18, 2010 and the course has had 229 fee paid rounds to date. The membership stands at 320 which is about the same as it was last year at this time.
The Al McLean Junior Championship will be held on Wednesday, June 9, 2010. The Unlimited membership lottery was held on March 9 with 58 teams participating which is down three from last year. Lottery times begin on Saturday, April 24 at 5:45 am to 10:33 am and on Sunday, April 25 at 5:45 am to 9:21 am
As a result of comments received at the February Committee meeting, a “Golf Course Open House” will be held in May to promote the Junior Golf Academy. Dennis will be working with the Park District’s Marketing Department to promote this event.
Mike Matchen stated he was pleasantly surprised to see the course open on March 18. Course conditions continue to improve with the exception of the #6 green which suffered severe problems over the winter. This green is an original 1922 “push up” green and has drainage issues. After the winter kill that occurred before the 2009 season, the USGA turf advisor advised that the green should be covered through the winter with an impervious cover. This experiment did not work and most of the green was dead when it was uncovered.
A discussion developed on how to best approach this green and if this should be the time that the green is rebuilt. After considerable discussion, it was decided to replace the turf on the green now and consider including the rebuild of the green with the development of the course “master plan”.
5) Steve Wilson, Superintendent of Finance & Personnel, presented a demonstration of the new tee time reservation software. This software will provide complete integration with the POS system and eventually the new accounting system. Steve stated the new software does not currently allow a member to view the names of people who have booked a tee time. After discussion, the Committee members and staff agreed that although some members will miss seeing other members’ names on booked times, the financial controls and advantages of the integrated system outweigh this issue.
6) The Committee reviewed the extension proposal of Open Kitchens to provide restaurant services to the golf club. The agreement includes a 3% increase for the 2011 season and a Consumer Price Index (CPI) increase for years 2012 and 2013. After some discussion, the Committee agreed to accept the proposal.
There being no additional business, the Committee was adjourned at 9:36 a.m.
Minutes taken by J. Bowen.
MINUTES APPROVED ON APRIL 24, 2010