WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
GOLF OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING
Date: May 22, 2010 Place: Golf Course
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Attendance: Commissioners: Graham, Crowley, Wolff
Staff: Grisamore, Bowen, Matchen, Callaghan
Visitors: David Kritzler
Topics of Discussion
1) Meeting Called to Order
2) Approval of Minutes
3) Managers Reports
4) Old Business
5) New Business
1) The meeting was called to order at 8:30 a.m.
2) The Committee approved the minutes of the April 24, 2010 Committee meeting by General Consent.
3) Dennis Callaghan reported that total rounds were at 8,715 compared to 7,419 reported last year at this time. Golf memberships stand at 533 which is down from the 552 recorded last year at this time.
The Al McLean Junior Championship has 105 entries currently signed up. The Junior Academy Open House was held on Sunday, May 16 with approximately 15 families participating in the event. The OGC will hold its annual Spring Fling on June 8.
Dennis also reported there are 60 confirmed outings scheduled so far this season.
Mike Matchen reported the grounds crew are in their normal routine for this time of year and will be planting flowers in the next two weeks. Mike presented a slide show of the completed projects and the progress of the turf growth throughout the course.
4) Commissioner Graham asked if there had been a determination on what caused the turf damage to the 6th green. Mike stated he believed the damage resulted from a combination of factors and that the soil sample results did not indicate anything that would have harmed the turf in any way. The soil conditions as far as drainage is concerned are some of the worst of any green and staff waited until the soil was frozen to put the tarp down per instructions. The warm-up in January could have allowed some growth which was then destroyed during the next freeze.
After some discussion, the Committee asked staff to write a letter to the tarp manufacturer to determine if some of the District’s costs could be recouped.
5) David Kritzler commented on the excellent work the Greens Committee and Mike Matchen have done. He complimented the teamwork and how the Committee and staff have worked well together.
The next meeting will be held on June 26, 2010 at 8:00 am.
There being no additional business, the Committee was adjourned at 9:15 a.m.
Minutes taken by J. Bowen.
MINUTES APPROVED JUNE 26, 2010