WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
FINANCIAL PLANNING & POLICY COMMITTEE
Date: August 9, 2010 Place: Park District Administration Offices
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Commissioners: D. Graham, D. Miller
Staff: S. Wilson, T. Grisamore
Guests: B. Lambrecht, J. Bowen, K. Bingham
Absent: Commissioner J. Brault
1. Approval of Minutes
2. 2011 Uniform Budget Increases
3. Other Business
4. Old Business
5. New Business
1. The Committee approved the minutes of the July 12, 2010 Committee meeting by General Consent.
2. Staff presented a memo regarding the 2011 Uniform Budget Increases. Those increases included salaries, health insurance, various utilities, user fees, and property taxes. Staff’s memo recommended a 3% across-the-board salary increase, a 10% health insurance increase, 0% electricity increase, 11.5% water increase, 0% natural gas increase, 5% gasoline increase, 3% increase in user fees, and a tax levy increase in excess of the 2.7% tax cap to account for new property in 2010. The Committee discussed in detail the salary increase and the breakdown and impact of the proposed increase. The Committee then revised staff’s recommendation to be a 3% salary pool increase for full-time staff and a 2% increase for all categories of part-time staff. The Committee then questioned the 10% health insurance increase given the phase-in of the District’s benefit of the change in rate calculation beginning in 2010. Staff informed the Committee that the 10% increase is actually very conservative. The information provided by PDRMA Health Program is that rates could increase by about 13% and then the District would get a 5% phase-in benefit, resulting in a rate of 8% for the District. Therefore, to be conservative staff split the difference and when rates become more readily available, we would adjust the budgets accordingly. The Committee approved this increase as proposed.
Brief discussion followed on the various utilities and the Committee approved the increases as proposed. The Committee then discussed the increases for user fees and staff informed them this is a general increase but that any and all deviations from this amount would be detailed during the budget process for each respective committee. The Committee approved the proposed increase. The Committee decided to defer the discussion on the property tax increase for the next meeting in order that the entire committee could be present for the discussion. Staff agreed this was acceptable.
3. The Committee had no other business to discuss.
4. The Committee briefly discussed old business.
The meeting adjourned at 7:10 p.m.
Minutes taken by S. Wilson.
MINUTES APPROVED ON SEPTEMBER 13, 2010.