WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
CENTENNIAL OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING
Date: August 8, 2011
Place: Administration Office
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Commissioners: Benz, Brault, Crowley, Shelley
Staff: Bowen, Eppelheimer, Wilson
Topics of Discussion:
1) Meeting Called to Order
2) Approval of Minutes
3) Communications and Correspondence
4) Recognition of Visitors
4) Managers Reports
5) Old Business
1) The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m.
2) The Committee approved the minutes of the June 13, 2011 Committee meeting by General Consent
3) Under Communications and Correspondence, Superintendent Bowen reported the District received four letters from individuals who were unhappy with the New Trier Swim Club utilizing the five open lanes of the main pool between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Superintendent Bowen stated the facility has attempted to accommodate all categories of swimmers including tots in the wading pool, children learning to swim and using the activity pool, teens on the local swim team and fitness swimmers in the lap pools and diving wells. The facility opens as early as 5:30 a.m. and closes at 9:00 pm to allow residents of Wilmette to use the facility. Unfortunately, with the varied users and groups at the facility, the District does not always have room for each type of swimmer at all times during the day.
After some discussion, Commissioner Shelly asked staff to investigate the possibility of the swim club being moved to a time slot of 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Additionally, Superintendent Bowen reported that the District has also received some correspondence and media attention regarding the fact that the Aquatics Facility does not allow any outside food or drink to be brought into the facility. He explained that under the health code food and drink are not allowed on the pool deck. All food and drink must be consumed on the concession deck which is licensed to an outside vendor. The issue is that there is no place for people to eat outside of the facility so Superintendent Bowen suggested that some picnic tables be added to the front of the facility. After discussion, the Committee agreed to add tables to the grassy area in front of the building.
Commissioner Shelly asked when the license agreement for the food vendor ended and that she had received several complaints about the food quality and staff at the concession stand. Superintendent Bowen stated that the contract ended this year and that he had not received any complaints.
4) Superintendent Bowen reported that the Aquatics facility would keep the same end-of- season hours of operation as was done in 2010.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
Minutes taken by Jeffrey Bowen.
MINUTES APPROVED ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2011.