WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
GOLF OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING
Date: April 14, 2012
Place: Wilmette Golf Club
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Commissioners: Olvany, Murdock, Shelley
Staff: Bowen, Eppelheimer, Matchen, Locke, Wilson
Visitors: Tom Bonnie
Topics of Discussion
1) Meeting Called to Order
2) Approval of Minutes
3) Communications and Correspondence
4) Recognition of Visitors
5) Managers Report
6) Public Comment
7) Committee Debate and Comment
8) New Business
1) The meeting was called to order at 8:30 am.
2) The Committee approved the minutes of the March 10, 2012 Committee meeting by General Consent.
3) Under Communications and Correspondence, an email was received from Mr. Tom Bonnie who provided his thoughts on the new tee time reservation system. Mr. Bonnie was recognized as a visitor and was asked by Commissioner Olvany if he would like to make any additional comments.
Mr. Bonnie stated he has a lot of experience developing websites and he thought the logout button was not visible on the page. He pointed out that in the email he received confirming his tee time there was also a balance due to the Park District and he doesn’t understand why the confirmation email would have that balance due listed. After some discussion, Commissioner Murdock responded he felt this was a good way to remind customers of their balances due to the District. Mr. Bonnie also stated that he could cancel a tee time for himself but not the other members of the foursome. Director Wilson explained this was a shortcoming of the new software system and it was unknown to staff until recently. He added that the software company was working on this and it would more than likely not be fixed until next season.
Mr. Bonnie stated he feels that the cart paths on the 1st and 10th tees need to be extended and that limestone could be used without a base structure. Mike Matchen stated he agrees that the cart paths need to be extended which he anticipates will be part of the course’s master pan. He also stated he does not agree that limestone could be used without a base and felt he could use his resources in a different way. Mike added that through traffic-pattern diversions he would be able to achieve the same results.
Mr. Bonnie commented on the removal of a tree on the 14th green. He stated that the tree was in good health and should have never been removed. Superintendent Bowen stated that the USGA turf advisor recommended that all of the trees be removed from the 14th green but in fact only one tree was removed.
4) Under Managers Reports, Jamie Locke stated that March was a record month in that both revenue and rounds were up substantially because of the good weather. The Family Night event will be held on Sunday, May 20, and the Al McLean Tournament will be held on Wednesday, June 20. This year the Illinois Junior Golf Association will be taking over the event and there are already 52 golfers registered. Jamie stated that the numbers for the Junior Golf Academy, Tiny Aces and Elite golf programs are looking good for enrollment.
Mike Matchen reported that hiring continues on the course and he is planning to hire more individuals to work the same budgeted hours. Last year the course suffered from employee turnover and hopefully with more employees hired at the beginning of the season we will be in better shape. Because of the weather, maintenance staff is weeks ahead of where we normally are with the cutting of the greens and fairways. Staff is also stripping turf from the 18th fairway to patch the newly reworked areas on the 1st and 10th fairways.
5) Mike Matchen stated that the Golf Course Master Plan Improvement permit process continues on the course and the process is progressing well. Mr. Bonnie stated he does not want to bring up additional regulatory issues so wants to know if the work on the course will bring up any EPA issues. Mike responded by stating that the EPA currently regulates the work done on the course and he does not anticipate any issues will develop.
6) New Business: None
7) There being no additional business, the Committee was adjourned at 9:06 a.m.
Minutes taken by J. Bowen.
MINUTES APPROVED MAY 12, 2012.