WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
GOLF OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING
Date: March 9, 2013
Place: Wilmette Golf Club Clubhouse
Time: 8:30 am
Commissioners: Committee Chair Crowley, Olvany, Shelly, Murdock
Staff: Bowen, Wilson, Eppelheimer, Matchen, Locke
Visitors: Tom Bonnie, Bill Lemieux, Amy Wolfe
Topics of Discussion
1) Meeting Called to Order
2) Approval of Minutes
a) January 12, 2013
3) Communications and Correspondence
4) Managers Reports
5) Old Business
6) New Business
7) Additional Discussion
1) The meeting was called to order at 8:30 am.
2) The Committee approved the minutes of the January 12, 2013 Committee meeting by General Consent.
3) Communications and Correspondence: None
4) Under Managers Reports, Golf Club Manager Jamie Locke reported memberships so far this year are down slightly from last year. The number of foursomes from the lottery is also down slightly from 2012 with a current total of 32. Last year there were 61 foursomes in the lottery. However, Jamie has heard from several golfers that they plan to join but have not yet done so. He also estimates that the total number will end up to be a total of approximately 50 foursomes. In addition, some golfers who go south for the winter do not return home until May 15.
Superintendent Bowen reported the Golf Lottery is being held one week later than usual and traditionally the weekend right before the lottery is when we receive the majority of our sales. With our recent winter weather conditions, it has also been fairly quiet at the golf shop. Jamie has contacted the Illinois Junior Golf Association (IJGA) In regard to the Al McLean Junior Championship and as of January 31 there are already 38 golfers playing in the tournament and staff anticipates a final total of 150-180 junior golfers this year.
Staff is currently inventorying and setting up merchandise in the pro shop. Jamie has also been in contact with several golf courses about the possibility of our golfers being able to receive some reduced green fees at their courses.
Chair Crowley asked if staff could firm everything up before the lottery takes place since there will most likely be many questions asked this year. Superintendent Bowen stated he would make an effort to get everything in place before the lottery.
General Manager Mike Matchen reported the crew has been busy taking down more diseased ash trees In the maintenance shop the crew has finished preventive maintenance work on equipment. Mike reported the bids were sent out for the reconstruction project on March 7 and the public bid opening is scheduled for 10 am on March 26.
5) Old Business: None
6) Under New Business, Superintendent Bowen distributed a section of the Open Kitchens contract that had been forwarded to our attorney for review. He stated our lease with them currently expires at the end of 2013. Staff was initially approached by Open Kitchens since they wanted to purchase some new equipment and install it in the kitchen. They also wanted a commitment from the District for a longer term lease of five years. In addition, with the closing of the course for the years 2013 and 2014, they also asked for a rent reduction. After negotiating with them and reviewing their financials during the months they will be closed, staff came up with a schedule of yearly rental rates as follows:
2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 and 2017
$53,000 $30,000 $40,000 $54,500 Increased by CPI-U
Mike Matchen stated Open Kitchens staff has developed a good relationship with both the men’s and women’s groups. Director Wilson stated that staff wanted to show the lease terms to the Committee.
Commissioner Shelly moved and Commissioner Olvany seconded a motion to approve the facility rental agreement with Open Kitchens as recommended by staff.
By a voice vote, voting Yes – All; voting No – None. Absent – None.
There being no additional business, the Committee was adjourned at 9:30 a.m.
Minutes taken by J. Bowen.
MINUTES APPROVED ON APRIL 13, 2013.