WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
Financial Planning & Policy Committee
Date: June 24, 2013
Location: Village Training Room
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Committee: G. Benz, J. Brault Chair J. Olvany
Board Members: None
Staff: S. Wilson, J. Bowen, K. Eppelheimer, B. Lambrecht, K. Bingham
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Minutes
3. Communications and Correspondence
4. Recognition of Visitors
5. Old Business
6. New Business
7. Adjourn to Closed Session
8. Reconvene Regular Meeting
9. Next Meeting
1) The Meeting was called to order at 6:59 p.m. due to a weather delay.
2) The Committee approved the minutes of May 29, 2013 as presented.
3) Communications and Correspondence – None.
4) Recognition of Visitors – None.
5) Old Business
a. Personnel Policy Manual – This item was deferred until the July 22nd Committee meeting.
b. Audit Results and Plan Progress – Superintendent Eppelheimer began the discussion by summarizing actions taken during June. The Committee asked questions on gift cards/certificates (amount outstanding at year end 2012 was $49,100 with about $68,360 purchased and $58,890 redeemed during 2012), capital assets (policy and need for a physical inventory), bank and account reconciliations (first couple of month’s 2013 bank reconciliations complete; balance sheet account reconciliations to follow). The actions to date pleased the Committee and they wanted continued status reports. There was no action required by the Committee at this time.
c. Evanston Wilmette Community Golf Course Association (EWCGCA) – Chair Olvany updated the Committee on discussions with EWCGCA representative and his attempts to collect the June payment. EWCGCA requested separate invoices for past due and current year water usage. The June payment is scheduled for June 28th. Staff will prepare the invoices this week and forward to EWCGCA. There was no action needed by the Committee at this time.
6) New Business
a. 2012 Tax Levy Extension and EAV – Superintendent Eppelheimer began the discussion with EAV and the impact to the final tax rate. It was noted that the CPI-U remains low even into 2013 (1.7% is used for the 2013 levy cap). The triennial reassessment will be during 2013 and property owners should have received information from Cook County regarding their assessments. The District continues to collect its ordinance amount with the help of the loss and cost adjustment made by the county. PTAB and non-collection result in a lower levy collection than the extension. There was no action needed by the Committee at this time.
b. 2013 Capital Improvement Plan Status – Superintendent Eppelheimer presented information on the status of the 2013 CIP. Several projects have been deferred to help balance the plan to budget with major projects being over plan and work done/yet to be done to secure the Centennial Tennis facility. The Committee requested updated monthly reports to keep the large projects on track and while being fiscally responsible. There was discussion on the financial presentation of the repair activity to the wall and roof replacement on courts 3 & 4 that will be covered by insurance. There was no action needed by the Committee or Board at this time regarding the deferred projects.
c. Centennial Tennis Repair Status – There was discussion on further repairs to other court walls and Superintendent Lambrecht explained that an engineer’s report will provide direction as to the repair process. Estimated costs of repairs for Centennial Tennis are not yet known. There was no action required by the Committee at this time.
d. Property Tax Appeal Resolution 2013-R-11 (1131-1147 Greenleaf) – Executive Director Wilson presented the PTAB appeal and indicated that it was a standard resolution. The Committee recommended Resolution 2013-R-11 be approved by the full Board.
7) Adjourn to Closed Session: The Committee did not adjourn to closed session
8) Reconvene Regular Meeting: The Committee did not adjourn to closed session, so it continued with regular business. The Committee recommended approval of the Financial Planning & Policy Committee closed session minutes of May 29, 2013. The meeting minutes were approved by Olvany and Benz, Brault abstained.
9) Next Meeting – The next meeting is scheduled for July 22, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. at the Administration Office.
10) Adjournment – With no further business to discuss, the Committee adjourned at 7:46 p.m.
Minutes were taken by Ken Eppelheimer.
MINUTES APPROVED ON JULY 29, 2013.