Date: July 13, 2013 

Place: Wilmette Golf Club

Time:  8:30 am

Commissioners: Chair James Brault, Amy Wolfe    
Absent: Commissioner Bryan Abbott
Staff: Wilson, Bowen, Eppelheimer, Matchen, Locke
Visitors: Tim Clemens
Topics of Discussion
1) Meeting Called to Order
2) Approval of Minutes
 a) June 8, 2013
3) Recognition of Visitors
4) Communications and Correspondence
5) Managers Reports
6) Old Business
7) New Business
8) Adjournment

1) The meeting was called to order at 8:30 am.

2) The minutes from the June 8, 2013 Committee meeting were approved by general consent. 

3) Recognition of Visitors: None

4) Communications and Correspondence: None

5) Under Managers Reports, Golf Club Manager Jamie Locke reported that the course has been quite busy since July 1. The weather improved and there has been quite a lot of play although we’re still down because of the late start. The Al McLean Tournament for juniors was held in June and was a great success with 155 participants. One young man named Skyler competed and came in second with a score of 72. There have also been several “demo days” and there is one scheduled for today as well.

 In addition, the Ouilmette Golf Club (OGC) is holding their “W Cup”  championship today and Jamie stated he would be playing in this inter-club match with a partner against Glenview. The LPGA women’s club championship event will be held next week and last year they won for the first time since 2010.   The ladies play against Winnetka this week and then Glencoe and Glenview. These events are just to have fun and so far we are undefeated. Also held this week was the women’s club championship on Monday and Tuesday and a Sigma Phi golf outing which we have held here for the last 10 or 15 years. Wednesday night was “Nine and Dine” night  which began with a 5 pm shotgun start and included dinner afterwards.
 Jamie also reported that Winnetka Golf Course provided us with a discount card  which will help our players who are looking for a place to play golf. Superintendent Bowen added that we have talked with other courses about couponing options as well. Jamie stated he was also talking with other golf facilities for specials and promotions and that staff may also set up a table and inform golfers of other places to play.

 Chair Brault added that the Faith, Hope, and Charity golf event will be held this coming Thursday and he is playing in it. Jamie stated that it was “Demo Day” today from 10 am until 2 pm and that he always has all of the major brands represented.

 Commissioner Wolfe asked if there were any other clubs who have approached us in regard to using their courses. Jamie replied yes, Willow Glen, Sunset Valley, and Highland Park. General Manager Mike Matchen indicated that staff is  currently waiting for more information from other facilities before we close for reconstruction and that almost all of the other facilities discount as well. Mike added that the Evanston-Wilmette Community Golf Course was working on a reduced membership rate for our golfers and we are waiting for more information from them..

 Mike reported that the crew is working as normal. The only minor issue was that we had an oil leak on a greens mower that caused form turf problem

 The first meeting was held with Wadsworth, Gewalt Hamilton, and Steve Wilson and Jeff Bowen and everything has been out and ready to go. Gewalt will start moving their equipment in next week Wednesday or Thursday. They will also be staging equipment by the pump house and there will be no digging until after we close the course. They intend to start with multiple crews working and as soon as they have enough dirt then they will have even more crews. As a result, there will be two drainage crews working at one time. There will be crew members working on the scrapers and bulldozers and once they have enough dirt moved then the shapers take over. Depending on the weather, their intent is to start the work on a daily basis from 7 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, and then 8 hours on Saturday. We will start spraying the first work area on the Friday before we close with Round-Up. We also have to kill the grass before they can work on it so it is easier to roto-till. As a result, over the course of that last weekend, the areas around 11, 12, and 13 where we will be going to start will be slowly dying over the weekend. However, the golfers will not be inconvenienced.

 Chair Brault asked about the seasonal staff and if they would still be working. Mike replied that they will still be very busy since some of the items that were out of the contract include the Futera Matting which had been a requirement of the permitting process for flood control. There are 13.7 acres at a minimum although there could be more. We also have to take out all of the irrigation on the greens where they will be building new greens or tees and we will be removing all the old heads and the swing joints. They will then be reused to save some money. We also will be doing the seeding on greens and all of the fertilizing so there’s plenty of work for us to do plus we have 36 dead ash trees that have to come down. In addition, there will be a lot of tree stumping.

 Mike stated that he has also been pleased with the golf course architect who has scheduled Tuesday morning meetings every week with everyone involved in the project and will be scheduling more as needed, especially during the first five or six weeks. We’re also going to set up a link to our web site which will have different photos every week with labels attached so that everyone can see the progression of the project. There will also be a snow fence installed across the front of the course and signs will be installed as well. Mike stated he would them send out an email to all of our members alerting them. Mike has also received questions from at least 100 people if they will be able to walk around the course but we told them that they cannot since there are major liability issues. Steve stated that staff had talked to the neighbors about walking on the course and about their dogs or other pets as well..

6) Under Old Business: None

7) Under New Business:

 Steve stated he had been communicating with the Director of the Glenview Park District and their Superintendent of Recreation and that he had been unaware of how quickly they were moving on the golf course exchange agreement which their board has already approved. We were very involved in the writing of it although they reviewed it first, Steve worked on the first edits, and then Jeff and Glenview’s superintendent cleaned it up and finalized it. Jeff reported that the residents will be receiving resident rates at Glenview and members will get their member rates. Steve added that there are two golf courses in Glenview – a 9-hole course and an 18-hole course. Glenview also expressed that they were very concerned about making sure their residents have access to the driving range at resident rates because they do not have one which is a big deal to them.

 Commissioner Wolfe asked how would this work in regard to resident fees since our course has limited and unlimited play. Jeff replied that we just couldn’t work that out since it wasn’t practical. Chair Brault stated so everyone will pay the same resident rate no matter what their status is. Jeff replied that was correct and that our residents will be able to pay the resident fees there. Commissioner Wolfe stated so that when Glenview closes next year, their golfers will be coming to Wilmette. Jeff replied that was true and we are very excited about it. Steve stated that we have a beautiful facility and course so we’re not too worried about people wanting to permanently change to Glenview. The main focus of their project is to create storm water capacity. Mike stated that the total number of non-residents members for our course is in the neighborhood of 100 players consisting of unlimited and regular members. Steve summarized that all of our members and all Wilmette residents will benefit from this agreement. Jamie added that he is not worried about anybody leaving our course.
 Commissioner Wolfe moved and Commissioner Brault seconded a motion to recommend to the full Board the approval of the Exchange of Services Agreement between the Wilmette Park District and the Glenview Park District.

 By a voice vote, voting Yes – All; voting No – None. Motion carried.

 Steve stated that he and Superintendent Eppelheimer recently had a discussion on paying for part of the cost of this project which was the 25% to the members along with a debt issuance. As a result, Ken will add that to the agenda for the next Financial Planning Committee meeting in order to start the process of moving forward with the $500,000 bond issuance.

 Mike reported that today it was the 10th anniversary of the golf clubhouse burning down and Jeff added that it was 9 years ago that the microburst occurred at the sailing beach.

 Jeff reported on the financials and stated that we are about where we had predicted to be on the budget which is $8,.000 below what we had budgeted so far for the end of June and we were down in rounds through June from previous years. However, our driving range is up about $10,000 which could be contributed to our new ball machine and improved controls.

 The Committee then agreed to cancel the August Golf Operations meeting due to the closing of the course and vacations.

There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:37 am.