WILMETTE PARK DISTRICT
FACILITIES OPERATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING
April 14, 2014
6: 30 p.m. - Village Hall Training Room
Commissioners: James Brault, Shelley Shelly, Amy Wolfe
Bowen, Eppelheimer, Flynn, D. Smith, B. Smith, Udany
I. Meeting Called to Order
Commissioner Brault called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Wolfe moved and Commissioner Shelly seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the March 10, 2014 committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
Commissioner Brault acknowledged a letter from Vicky Klinko thanking Sean and Vickie Tassone for their hard work with District 8 Championships.
Commissioner Brault acknowledged a letter from Margarit Kuehn from Go Green Wilmette thanking everyone who participated in the pilot recycling program.
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Jesse Kinsland from PDRMA will be presenting at the Board meeting tonight an Award to acknowledge the Wilmette Park District’s commitment and leadership in Risk Management.
He announced that during WPD’s comprehensive assessment they received the highest accredited award possible from PDRMA.
V. Managers Report
A. Tennis Manager Darrell Smith reported on the following:
- April 14th is the deadline for lottery for next year’s court time. As of now, we have 154 applications.
- Gave singles a chance at the lottery (40 participates signed up). By signing up as a single they would have to pay for the court time upfront for the entire year.
- Permanent Court Time ends May 10th; one week extension for a slightly discounted rate.
- Summer court registration is ongoing.
- 435 Campers registered; only openings in Junior Excellence.
- Pro Shop sales in March were up 33% over last year. Sold $12,000 worth of product; mostly racket sales R22, sold 12 last year and this year 35.
B. Pool/Risk Manager Brian Udany reported on the following:
- Staff will be in the water on May 14th.
- Interviewing process going slow due to weather and kids not coming out yet.
- Annual maintenance is being worked on: Filter room, getting equipment ready, repairs.
- Total memberships as of April 1st were 2,301; this time last year about 2,430 and the year prior 2,768. Superintendent Bowen stated that if it doesn’t get warm usually by early bird discount which ends 4/30 then people will not purchase until the first day they go to the pool.
C. Ice Rink Manager Sean Flynn reported on the following:
- Last March we started our open hockey session with 211 participants. This year we have 325 participants.
- This April we are trying a Girls only session. Going well, averaging about 10 girls.
- Hosted District 8 Championships. Had over 350 competitors from 20 area rinks. Our rink took 5th place from not competing last year.
- Spring hockey in full swing.
- Getting ready for the ice show coming up next month.
- Interviewing for concession stands.
- Refrigeration and dehumidification systems working well.
D. Platform Tennis Manager Brad Smith reported on the following:
- Just finished up 1st winter season with good success.
- Had first in-house league with over 40 men.
- 2nd session participation a little lower than anticipated.
- Over 50 participants in all classes right now.
- Facility maintenance/changes almost done; looks good.
- Working on getting new programs set up for next fall; adding new ones.
- Working on getting National and Local tournaments held here in the fall.
- 5 Parties booked already for the summer through next year. Renters bring in their own food.
- Reconstruct paved areas scheduled for the end of May.
- Heaters working on and off.
VI. Old Business
A. 2014-2015 Paddle Fees – Superintendent Bowen reported on the comparison sheet handout. Superintendent Bowen recommends after discussing with Director Wilson to increase our fees to match with what Glenview is doing but slightly below. Commissioner Brault commented that membership should be greater than last year. Superintendent Bowen stated that we budgeted for 190 members; increase of 30 members. Commissioner Brault suggested keeping the fees the same. Superintendent Bowen suggested increasing at least the league fees to cover our costs. Commissioner Shelly commented to change the League fee to $105 and keep the membership the same. All agreed, Commissioner Brault commented that change League fee to at least $105 depending on what the costs are. Brad will monitor this.
B. Update on Concession Bid Process for Ice and Pool – Superintendent Bowen stated that we received two bids for the ice and 4 bids for the pool. Interviewed the two high bidders today. Discovered that the high bidder of the ice rink made a mistake in their bid document and were actually bidding on the pool. Superintendent Bowen stated that WPD discussed with the attorney it was an acceptable RFP due to just a technical error. Commissioner Wolfe asked what criteria we use to choose. Superintendent Bowen commented that the dollar amount is the first thing we look at. Also, references, what kind of businesses they are in, review sample menus.
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 7:03 p.m.