Wilmette Park District
Lakefront Committee Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
6:30 p.m. – Park District Administration Office
Commissioners/Committee: Chair Bryan Abbott, Gary Benz, John Olvany
Commissioner James Crowley
Staff: Kathy Bingham, Bill Lambrecht, Steve Wilson, Ken Eppelheimer,
Cindy Felicicchia, Jeff Bowen
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order 6:30 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. Commissioner Olvany moved to approve the minutes from August 25, 2014 as amended on Page 3, Paragraph 1, Sentence 5 will read 2016/2017 versus 2015/2016, seconded by Benz; all voted yes, the motion carried.
III. New Business
Mary Shea, 735 Michigan Avenue, Wilmette
Stephen Bobo, 1215 Forest Avenue, Wilmette
Kathy Routliffe, Pioneer Press
V. Communication and Correspondence
VI. Manager’s Report
Superintendent Bingham reported on the following:
- Holly Specht is in the process of hiring an Assistant Lakefront Manager.
- The lakefront has wrapped up its season. Everything is being winterized.
- Sailing is closed in terms of staffing. There is another week or so before everyone has to have their boats removed.
- The Triathlon was held on September 14th and went well. Lake temperature was a cold 54 degrees; anything above 53 degrees and the swimming portions continues. The numbers were about the same from last year; expected more with the last minute surge but the weather was a factor in people not coming out. A portion of the proceeds from this event go to the scholarship fund which will be around $5,000. Commissioner Olvany commented that this should be something we discuss at Financial Planning & Policy Committee to see if the funds should be allocated to the foundation.
- An outside group held an event called Syd Rocks in the afternoon after the Triathlon. The afternoon weather continued with cool temperatures; not a huge crowd. Commissioner Abbott attended and stated it was a well-run event and the noise level was not an issue.
VII. Lakefront Master Plan
Commissioner Abbott asked if the Lakefront Master Plan photos have been set up on the overlook area. Superintendent Lambrecht stated they were.
Director Wilson stated that he and Commissioner Abbott have been discussing the contracts for architectural and engineering design services and comparing and contrasting previous staff memos with what is in the contracts; specifically the cost numbers. He stated, the numbers in Superintendent Lambrecht’s memo of August 4th where actually a spreadsheet that he created previously to Superintendent Lambrecht’s memo. Director Wilson will issue a revised memo spreadsheet to reflect the numbers stated by WB Olson in the contracts of $13,072 million.
Commissioner Abbott stated that based on his reviews with staff, he can now support the construction schedule to begin in fall of 2015 for a number of reasons; the momentum, the benefits of the designs, escalation factors which could prove to be high, and it appears we are in a favorable bond market. He stated he has reviewed the risks and it does seem to be an acceptable one for the Board. He stated he is willing to accept the 2015 schedule.
Commissioner Olvany stated that in regard to community awareness he would like to put a group together for this weekend Soccer Saturday from 8-2 p.m. with Commissioners and Staff. Superintendent Bingham stated that around 1,500 people come through Soccer Saturdays. Staff will put together a schedule.
VIII. Unfinished Business
IX. New Business
A. Sheridan Shore Yacht Club (SSYC) Lease Update
Director Wilson reported that their lease expires in March of 2016 with Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD). The indication from MWRD is that with any of their leased property they do an open bid process about a year prior to the expiration of the least. The District has requested to be on their list of entities when they distribute their bid packet. They have confirmed that they will do that. The bid packet should be sent in early 2015. Commissioner Abbott asked if there is any work ahead of that in terms of understanding our own strategies. Director Wilson stated that we should see what the bid requirements are before moving forward with any discussions. Commissioner Olvany stated that it should be the real estate committee that spearheads that effort. Director Wilson stated that the pursuit of a lease is a real estate question and once a lease has been obtained, what we do with the property will fall under the respective committee, which would be the Lakefront Committee in this case.
B. Lakefront Master Plan Design Contracts Update
Commissioner Abbott stated that he has read the contracts and has had many discussions with staff. He pointed out that the Board will have an opportunity to meet with the designers during the initial kickoff phase. Commissioner Abbott stated he could get behind these contracts and support their adoption by the full Board. Commissioner Abbott asked committee how they felt about reintroducing these contracts. Commissioner Benz and Commissioner Olvany agreed.
Commissioner Olvany moved and Commissioner Benz seconded a recommendation from this committee going to the full Board to approve the two design contracts. All agreed.
C. Construction Manager RFQ Update
Superintendent Lambrecht stated that he has received six firm proposals. He stated these have been on hold since the last Board meeting. Director Wilson stated that initial interviews will be set up quickly with staff to narrow down to three firms. Then meetings will be set up with the Lakefront committee with appointed times from the three firms to come in for presentations (45-60 minutes each). He stated that committee members will be given proposals prior to presentations and then the decision will be up to the committee members for final selection. The Lakefront committee then makes a recommendation to the full Board. Discussions went back and forth as to when a decision would have to be made. Superintendent Lambrecht wanted to point out that the sooner we get a construction manager on board, the better, in order to be ready for fall construction. Commissioners all agreed.
D. Park Permit Requests:
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and their annual event for a 5K walk at Gillson Park. All approved: Commissioners Abbott, Olvany and Benz.
- Highcrest Middle School and their annual event for a field trip to Gillson Park. All approved: Commissioners Abbott, Olvany and Benz.
There being no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.