Wilmette Park District
Golf Operations Committee Meeting
8:30 a.m. - Saturday, November 8, 2014
Golf Course Clubhouse
Commissioners: James Crowley, Bryan Abbott, Amy Wolfe
Staff: Jeff Bowen, Steve Wilson, Mike Matchen, Adam Kwiatkoski, Ken Eppelheimer
I. Meeting Called to Order
Meeting called to order at 8:30 a.m.
II. Approval of Minutes
Commissioner Abbott moved and Commissioner Wolfe seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the October 11, 2014 Golf Committee meeting. All approved by general consent.
III. Communications and Correspondence
IV. Recognition of Visitors
Commissioner Crowley addressed visitors:
Chad Giese, 4027 Bunker Lane, Wilmette
Bill Lemieux, 4088 Fairway Drive, Wilmette
Mark Meccia, 605 6th Street, Wilmette
Mark Meccia commented that he and Chad Giese put together a Facebook page trying to get people’s attention in regards to cross country skiing in Wilmette. Mr. Giese stated the feedback has been very positive. He stated he would like to be involved in the entire process. Commissioner Crowley asked Mr. Giese if the District provides him with the golf course layout can he come up with a proposed route. Mr. Geise stated he has some ideas and would like to work with the District. Mike Matchen will get together with Mr. Geise to discuss this further. Commissioner Crowley commented that this is a great idea and hats off to Mr. Giese and Mr. Meccia.
V. Proposed FY 2014 Golf Budget Fees and Comparisons
Superintendent Bowen stated that when you compare the numbers from 2015 to 2012 you have to realize that 2012 was the most phenomenal year this course has ever had due to such good weather. Those numbers are certainly not the average. He stated that the budget includes all the standardized increases set forth by the Financial Planning & Policy Committee. Superintendent Bowen reviewed and discussed the reports of Proposed FY 2014 Golf Budget Fees and Comparisons and Proposed FY 2015 Golf Budget with the Committee in detail. The Committee unanimously approved the budget presented by staff and recommended it be presented to the full Board for approval.
VI. Managers’ Report
Mike Matchen reported on the following:
- The closing of the golf course will be based on the weather. Once the freezing and thawing take effect the golf course will close.
- Superintendent Bowen stated that there is some seasonal staff working but they will be gone shortly.
Adam Kwiatkoski reported on the following:
- October was a busy month with 2,924 rounds being played. The fee rounds were slightly up.
- Payroll expenses have been reduced with using the staff members we have to pitching in to handle different varied responsibilities and opportunities.
- Golf shop inventory has been greatly reduced. Working with vendors to set up for next year.
- Projecting about 16,500 rounds for the season. This is a good number even with the late start to the season.
VII. Unfinished Business
VIII. New Business
The December meeting will be cancelled. The next meeting will be January 10, 2015.
There being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 9:08 a.m.