Private & Semi-Private Swim Lessons
- 30 minute private and semi-private lessons are taught seven days a week between 8-9:30 a.m. and Monday-Friday evenings between 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- Private lessons are taught by Centennial Lifeguards and Swim Instructor staff. There is limited schedule availability. Every attempt will be made to accommodate requests, however we cannot guarantee lesson availability.
- Private lessons are by request only.
- Lesson requests are accepted and distributed to instructors on a first come, first served basis throughout the summer.
- Private lesson requests will be distributed to instructors during the week of June 16. Lessons may be scheduled beginning on June 21.
- Due to staff orientation and training schedules, lessons will not begin before June 21. No exceptions.
Request forms can be returned to Centennial Recreation Complex, 2300 Old Glenview Road, Wilmette, IL 60091. For more information please call 847-256-9680.
To register for Group Swimming and Diving lessons click here .
2014 Swim Lesson Evaluations
Prior to the start of swim lessons
Help us avoid long lines and delays on the first day of class by attending a swim skills evaluation so we can place your child in the proper group prior to the start of lessons. All parents and children will be invited to stay for a complimentary public swim immediately following their evaluation.
Sunday June 15: 9 a.m.-11 a.m.
Swim Instruction Levels
Level I: Water Exploration
This class will familiarize the student with the aquatic environment and will focus on supported floating, water entry and exit, and beginning kicking and arms.
Level II: Primary Skills
Unsupported floating with kicks and arms are the primary skills you will learn at this level. There is also an emphasis on fundamental locomotion skills used in the front and back crawl.
Level III: Stroke Readiness
Improving previous skills and breath control are emphasized at this level. New skills include elementary backstroke, introduction to diving, and treading water.
Level IV: Stroke Development
New strokes include breaststroke, sidestroke, and the introduction of competitive turns. The students will increase their confidence with the knowledge of all of the basic strokes.
Level V: Stroke Refinement
A review of front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke, and sidestroke. Introduction of butterfly stroke and springboard diving safety.
Level VI: Skill Proficiency
Continued review of all strokes with introduction of flip turn for front crawl is the objective of this level. Pike and tuck surface dive introduced.
Level VII: Advanced Skills
Continued review of all strokes and turns. Tread water five minutes, retrieve diving brick, springboard front dive in tuck and pike position, and introduction of back stroke flip turn.
Swimming, Diving and Parent/Tot Class Make-up Policy
- Eight lessons in each two week program are guaranteed
- Make ups due to vacation or illness cannot be arranged
- If three classes are cancelled due to weather conditions a make-up lesson will be offered the Saturday immediately following the third cancelled class. We cannot guarantee your child’s assigned teacher will conduct the make-up class
- If inclement weather prohibits Saturday/Sunday make ups, the make up lesson will be moved to the following weekend
- Diving class make ups will be scheduled as needed with our diving instructor
- Parent/Tot make up lessons can be arranged by notifying a Learn to Swim supervisor and attending any available weekend class time. No additional classes will be scheduled. Parents are responsible for notifying the class supervisor that they will be attending a make up session prior to the start of the class. Supervisors have the discretion to limit attendance based on class sizes and pool space available.
Swimming class make up times will be as follows:
- If your scheduled class time is 9:45-10:25 a.m., the make up is at 8:45-9:25 a.m. Saturday
- If your scheduled class time is 10:30-11:10 a.m., the make up is at 9:30-10:10 a.m. Saturday
- If your scheduled class time is 11:15-11:55 a.m., the make up is at 9:30-10:10 a.m. Saturday
- If your scheduled class time is Noon-12:40 p.m., the make up is at 10:15-10:55 a.m. Saturday
The Park District reserves the right to cancel or combine classes when there is insufficient enrollment. All children must meet age requirements by the first day of the session.
Parents and spectators are allowed to watch the swim lessons from the concessions areas. Parents will be allowed on deck to take pictures of swim lessons on the last day of class. Due to state health codes and safety, no one is allowed on the deck with shoes. Children who wear diapers must also wear tight fitting plastic pants.
Diving classes are taught by Bruce Kimball whose coaching experience includes serving as assistant coach for the Kimball Divers in Ann Arbor, MI; head age group coach for Hurricane Division in Miami, FL; assistant coach for the Ft. Lauderdale Diving Team, and head girls and assistant boys coach for New Trier High School. Kimball is a National Champion, Pan American Silver Medalist, World Championships Bronze Medalist and Olympic Silver Medalist. Note: Enrollment is limited to 10 in each class. Please register for the proper level class. Attendance at all sessions is strongly encouraged so all students are learning the same skills at the same time.
Beginning Diving I
Class pre-requisites and goals: Little/no experience, water safe, able to listen and follow directions. Goals: Three-step approach/hurdle and jump into the water on 1m, back jump on 1m, front dive on 1m, back dive on 1 m, inward drive on 1m, front somersault on 1m, front jump on 3m, back jump on 3m, front line-up on 3m. Eight lessons in each two-week session are guaranteed.
Beginning Diving II
Class pre-requisites: Limited experience, ability to perform the dives listed as goals for the Beginning Diving I class. Goals: Reverse dive on 1m, front 1½ on 1`m, back somersault on 1m, reverse somersault on 1m, inward somersault on 1m, back line-up on 3m, front dive on 3m, inward dive on 3m. Eight lessons in each two-week session are guaranteed.
Advanced Diving Class
Prerequisites: Previous experience, ability to perform the dives listed as goals for the Beginning Diving II class. Goals: Add basic dives in several different positions, add twisting dives, add more 3m dives, and improve entries into the water in all directions. Eight lessons in each two-week session are guaranteed.